Recommended thermometer/hygrometers and egg candlers?

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
Our first hatch went well, thankfully, but I think it might be wise to have a secondary thermometer/hygrometer on board, esp. since all chicks hatched on day 20. Are there any particular brands/models folks really like? (I've searched but am not finding much info.)

Also, the built-in egg candler is ok (NR 360 incubator), but we did miss some detail that led to a couple of eggs staying in that didn't need to. Any favorite candlers?

Thanks for your input! 😊 Always grateful.

Last edited:
We use the Xiaomi Mijia Bluetooth humidity sensor. It is very small and has a high quality digital humidity/temperature sensor.

You can find these for around $11 each on ebay (US based seller), or around $6 each if you can afford to wait a couple of months (or more) from non-US sellers on ebay, or on aliexpress.
1641754670036.png

One caveat: these display in Celsius. It is possible to reprogram/flash them to display Fahrenheit but that requires some fiddling around using an android phone, or it maybe possible to switch them using the Xiaomi app (which I've never used). FWIW we just leave them in Celsius

I noticed the same thing with the N@360. All chicks hatched a day early.
I think a lot of members use the Govee thermometer/hygrometer for their bator. I used it and liked it, not sure how accurate it was since I had a hard time calibrating it though.
I think the best thermometer you can get is an old fashioned glass medical thermometer for people. They're very accurate, and you don't have to push a button for them to work. You can simply place them in the bator.
I too am looking for a good hygrometer that calibrates well. I'm concerned about the air cell size of a friends eggs this hatch. We'll have to see.

For calendars, definitely go with the Magicfly candela from Amazon. It the best 20$ I've ever spent on any incubator accessory. SO worth it, and it does an awesome job!

Back
Top Bottom