💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
What I thought:
I thought I'd go to TSC and get 3 or maybe 4 chicks to have as a tiny backyard flock. Pets only. No roosters.
This was almost 3 years ago...and now I realize that chickens aren't as "easy" as people make them sound. (Newbies, please don't not get chickens because of what I just said. Keep reading...)

What I ended up with:

Okay so here we go.....don't be surprised if you get confused.

Started out with 6 chicks. The night I got them 1 got super sick. I was a greenie and didn't know about this forum, brought chick back to TSC and exchanged it for a new one. Back to 6. About 1.5 years later, got 4 new chicks to start a flock for a chicken who was kicked out of my current flock, and was pining away from loneliness. When the chicks were about 2 weeks old, 1 of my full grown chickens died. Unknown death. 3 days later a chick died. Now I have 8 chickens. Almost 2 years later I get 5 bantam chicks from TSC. Now I have 13 chickens.

Why I started this thread:
Idrk to be honest.... I guess life really got busy and I don't feel like I have the time to take proper care of them anymore...and they were naughty today which made me a little frustrated. Feed costs have gone up...and winter will be here (I don't have the best setup considering winter) I guess I want advice on what to do:

1. Should I sell my chickens?
2. Should I just cut back on numbers?
3. Should I completely drop chicken keeping and do ducks or something?
4. How could I sell what I call "pets"?

Idk......

What do you guys recommend? Feel free to ask questions.

Its totally ok to think you want to invest in something then find its not for you. Chickens require alot of physical exertion and as we get older, it gets harder. If you can afford to hire someone to help out that would help but then why have them unless you're in the business rather then it being a hobby. For me its a hobby with an occasional person interested in buying some eggs. I haven't done it as long as you but can certainly see it being too much after 3 years without help. Downsize for now and see how that goes?

Its totally ok to think you want to invest in something then find its not for you. Chickens require alot of physical exertion and as we get older, it gets harder. If you can afford to hire someone to help out that would help but then why have them unless you're in the business rather then a hobby. For me its a hobby with an occasional person interested in buying some eggs. I haven't done it as long as you but can certainly see it being too much after 3 years without help. Downsize for now and see how that goes?
...or you can ask your children and husband to help out too!

Its totally ok to think you want to invest in something then find its not for you. Chickens require alot of physical exertion and as we get older, it gets harder. If you can afford to hire someone to help out that would help but then why have them unless you're in the business rather then it being a hobby. For me its a hobby with an occasional person interested in buying some eggs. I haven't done it as long as you but can certainly see it being too much after 3 years without help. Downsize for now and see how that goes?

Thanks for the input. That's what I've been thinking about. Downsizing. But my chickens are my pets and I'm worried I might regret that once it's too late......

I've never had chickens. But I've had ducks for 6.5 years. They are so much work. I can't recommend ducks to anyone who wants less work.

I read about their messiness before getting them and it is 20x worse. I adore my ducks, they are wonderful and charming. But after they pass away, I'm out. They are so time consuming. And all of my duck breeds, including my cayuga, shout quack at me all day long. They are so loud!

I read about their messiness before getting them and it is 20x worse. I adore my ducks, they are wonderful and charming. But after they pass away, I'm out. They are so time consuming. And all of my duck breeds, including my cayuga, shout quack at me all day long. They are so loud!
Yes, they are messy....and loud.... But, in my opinion, its worth it. I mean they are going to be messy they are birds!

I also believe its ok to be frustrated and vent..afterall we are human.. after fighting mites, a tree falling on my coop, and now i have an egg eater..i felt like you.. i also have ducks and with winter coming..am also rethinking things..ive always had animals as.long as i can remember😂😂I guess im saying we all have those days. My tipping point is when they no longer bring me joy..animals of any kind are work, sometimes heartache and ALWAYS cost money, but if that pales in comparison to the joy of gathering eggs or watching them fight over a worm, or watching my ducklings swim for the first time then for myself its worth it..

Back
Top Bottom