Record Heat Index in NJ

rapunzil

Songster
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Kendall Park, NJ
It has been up to 104 this week where I live in NJ which never happens. I have made sure that my birds have food and water, but they are not doing well. What do other folks do to help their birds handle extreme heat?

You can do a search for more ideas---this topic has been talked about quite a bit lately
smile.png

You can:
Freeze Water bottles & put them out in the coop.
Put the bottles in a rubbermaid for an "airconditioned room".
Fill a water pan or kiddie pool so the chickens have something to wade in.
Put out a cheapy personal mister $5-$10.
Flood the run.
Put a fan out there.
Feed them frozen treats.
Feed them high-water foods like cold watermelons.

I'm with you. I'm down here in South Jersey and the Pine trees are ready to explode. Our birds are free range and finding shelter under the Scrub Oaks and Laurel they dig into the leaves and pine needles to the cool sand underneath. Plenty of water for them and I am going to use one persons idea of freezing cool whip and butter tubs to put in the waters.

I've been changing water twice daily and putting frozen ice blocks in the water for my birds and dogs. Stick some plastic containers (cool whip, margarine, etc.) in the freezer and use the ice blocks to keep your waterers cool. They'll last a fairly long while. The temps have been horrible here in Central Jersey.

Its hot this time of year in south texas, always but almost everyone and every business has AC. If you can't get cool any other way, you can always get in a tub of cool water. Take care of yourselves, along with your animals....

I put a fan in their run, and they sit in the shade and eat Mr. freezies
smile.png

Good luck! I hope they're ok

Back
Top Bottom