Record Keeping

audiomilk

Songster
7 Years
Jan 3, 2013
Kingston (Enos/Oakview), Oklahoma
Just curious, what types of things do backyard poultry raisers keep record of and for what purpose? I'm new to this and am a man of numbers and success, so anything I can do to have great success and enjoyment of these fine feathered creatures would be done and tracked. Thank you in advance

Number of chickens
Breeds
Ages
New Hatches
# of bags of feed purchased
Cost of feed
Number of eggs layed
Number of eggs sold
Number of birds sold
Deaths (if any)
Any injuries and plan of action
# of birds used for meat
List of medications and cost
Print outs of what to do for injuries/illnesses

Last edited:
Grandma kept a daily tally book.

Feed cost
How many eggs.
Dollar amount sold.

Last edited:
Since we have our chickens as much for pleasure as for eggs we keep it fairly simple. Following my Grandpas lead,I use a calander with squares large enough to make notes in for each day. We record each days egg numbers,when we get new chicks or sell chickens,worming or other medications,any major event like a fox or hawk attack,when we get first pullet eggs from a new brood of chicks,things like that.

I store each calender away after New Years so we can pull them out when needed to compare notes from different months.

If we recorded all the feed and expenses it would only depress us
hu.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Since we have our chickens as much for pleasure as for eggs we keep it fairly simple. Following my Grandpas lead,I use a calander with squares large enough to make notes in for each day. We record each days egg numbers,when we get new chicks or sell chickens,worming or other medications,any major event like a fox or hawk attack,when we get first pullet eggs from a new brood of chicks,things like that.

I store each calender away after New Years so we can pull them out when needed to compare notes from different months.

If we recorded all the feed and expenses it would only depress us:confused: :eek: :barnie :hit

I'm thinking about not recording it as well. You are right. VERY depressing.

Back
Top Bottom