Record Low Temps & Windchill - Status Check

Mine seem very unhappy. They won't leave the coop, are puffed up, and I'm sure bored out of their minds. I am bringing in water to them every couple hours or so as they won't go out for it.

I have always, always, hates winter and this makes me hate it that much more!

How are yours?

Mine seem very unhappy. They won't leave the coop, are puffed up, and I'm sure bored out of their minds. I am bringing in water to them every couple hours or so as they won't go out for it.

I have always, always, hates winter and this makes me hate it that much more!

How are yours?
I get it. Before we had chickens, the outside elements were not a big issue, dogs are in the house. Now, we have chickens that we love, but we have to constantly prepare for outside weather changes. We are grateful we have a mostly finished cabin that we took them to on Thursday night. The primary heat was not working, but we are using a propane heater to keep the temps in the 40’s. The biggest thing is that they are out of the wetness and winds. We had a pipe burst this morning, so we are dealing with that one. Merry Christmas Eve.

I get it. Before we had chickens, the outside elements were not a big issue, dogs are in the house. Now, we have chickens that we love, but we have to constantly prepare for outside weather changes. We are grateful we have a mostly finished cabin that we took them to on Thursday night. The primary heat was not working, but we are using a propane heater to keep the temps in the 40’s. The biggest thing is that they are out of the wetness and winds. We had a pipe burst this morning, so we are dealing with that one. Merry Christmas Eve.
I’m sorry about your pipes. What a terrible mess that makes. I hope it won’t do too much damage.

Where I am wind is suppose to let up in two hours. We heat with wood but haven’t had a fire because the wind blows smoke into the house.

Temps are going up. Chickens are all good and no frost bite. I’ve been obsessed with watching them though and jumping through hoops to make sure they are okay. I’m glad we have power too.

I’m sorry about your pipes. What a terrible mess that makes. I hope it won’t do too much damage.

Where I am wind is suppose to let up in two hours. We heat with wood but haven’t had a fire because the wind blows smoke into the house.

Temps are going up. Chickens are all good and no frost bite. I’ve been obsessed with watching them though and jumping through hoops to make sure they are okay. I’m glad we have power too.
I’m happy the winds are dying down so you can burn wood again. Like you, I am grateful for no power outages thus far.

Oh no! I was worried about our pipes. So far, so good.

At least in the summer, Im not freezing my bum off trying to figure out last minute solutions to new issues.

I caved a bit ago and hung their waterer in their coop. I was trying to walk it back and forth to them so as not to have it in the coop but then they spent 30-45 mins drinking. Even that is tough. It's so cold they won't go out to eat and drink. I feel bad for them.

I have never spent so much time in the cold. The chickens have my heart. I can watch them to an extent on the pet cam but not well enough to know all is well

I had to bring the brooder chicks in from the porch at 2 am because all my wrapping and prepping of the brooder only worked until it was under 30 and it was due to get down to the low 20's.
Same forecast for the next few days (why can't we at least have snow?!)

But once again the chicks are on the washing machine and I'm trying to figure out how to keep them warm when I turn the heat lamp off to leave the house. Have to pick up the Honeybaked Ham! and Mom wants to run into the grocery store. I never leave heat lamps on without someone being here.
And our house is stuffed with potted plants! Who collected this many? 😲

I don't have the clothes for the frozen tundra. Not many Floridians do, as it's rare to need them. Last Christmas we had the air conditioning on!

Back
Top Bottom