Record Low Temps & Windchill - Status Check

10F this morning here in the NC Sandhills and not going above freezing today (very rare occurance).

My birds are fine, though I'm concerned that the water will freeze while we're out all afternoon and evening at church.

In fact, DH told me that they got out while he was putting the new waterer in at 11:30 before he left the house (I was at work), so they're obviously not too unhappy about things. They're probably hanging out in some sunny place.

I carefully inspected Ramses's comb and saw no sign of trouble.

I had to bring the brooder chicks in from the porch at 2 am because all my wrapping and prepping of the brooder only worked until it was under 30 and it was due to get down to the low 20's.
Same forecast for the next few days (why can't we at least have snow?!)

But once again the chicks are on the washing machine and I'm trying to figure out how to keep them warm when I turn the heat lamp off to leave the house. Have to pick up the Honeybaked Ham! and Mom wants to run into the grocery store. I never leave heat lamps on without someone being here.
And our house is stuffed with potted plants! Who collected this many? 😲

I don't have the clothes for the frozen tundra. Not many Floridians do, as it's rare to need them. Last Christmas we had the air conditioning on!
What a shock to you in the south. It does make it bad because of not having all the gear for this. I’ve never seen a storm like this and I’m not young. I hope someone has good ideas about your brooder. I don’t know how long you will be gone but if it wasn’t for very long could a hot water bottle, heat pad or heated oven bricks work if you put them in a towel ? Of corse it could be a disaster if the hot water bottle leaked. Maybe someone can give you advice who has used an alternative…

I don't have the clothes for the frozen tundra. Not many Floridians do, as it's rare to need them. Last Christmas we had the air conditioning on!

Same here. This morning I settled on my thickest sweatshirt jacket with my warmest ruana over it and a thermal shirt under my uniform t-shirt.

Now, at church, I have a warm sweatshirt skirt under my thinner but more festive red linen skirt.

A couple years ago, my mother gave me a garment labeled as a "wearable blanket", which we refer to as "the fleece trashbag". It is, perhaps, the most hideous piece of clothing ever invented, but it's so warm that it's my winter chicken-tending garment.

How is everyone and your chickens holding up. Our coldest day is today.
Hello from NE Ohio! My 5 Bielefelders refused to come out of the coop for the first time ever yesterday. I have a small poultry panel type heater that is safe and attached to a side wall. I plugged it in and kept it on low overnight. Our windchills were -20 yesterday. The coop temp was 18 degrees last night. I was so worried! When I went back this morning, they were fine. Gave them some warm pumpkin mash with oats and cornmeal mixed in, along with their regular feed. Every couple hours I take them fresh water. So far, they’re all getting along, and seem content. It’s 28 degrees in the coop now with an outside temperature of 6. I hope everyone else is doing well. I know how much we all love our chickens! Merry Christmas, everyone!

I had to bring the brooder chicks in from the porch at 2 am because all my wrapping and prepping of the brooder only worked until it was under 30 and it was due to get down to the low 20's.

But once again the chicks are on the washing machine and I'm trying to figure out how to keep them warm when I turn the heat lamp off to leave the house. Have to pick up the Honeybaked Ham! and Mom wants to run into the grocery store. I never leave heat lamps on without someone being here.

I feel for you. We moved from MA to SC earlier this year, so we have the clothes, but share the other challenges with you. How can anyone get ready for Christmas and handle the needs of the chickens with this horrible weather at the same time?

Last edited:
Hello from NE Ohio! My 5 Bielefelders refused to come out of the coop for the first time ever yesterday. I have a small poultry panel type heater that is safe and attached to a side wall. I plugged it in and kept it on low overnight. Our windchills were -20 yesterday. The coop temp was 18 degrees last night. I was so worried! When I went back this morning, they were fine. Gave them some warm pumpkin mash with oats and cornmeal mixed in, along with their regular feed. Every couple hours I take them fresh water. So far, they’re all getting along, and seem content. It’s 28 degrees in the coop now with an outside temperature of 6. I hope everyone else is doing well. I know how much we all love our chickens! Merry Christmas, everyone!
I’m glad to hear your chickens have weathered the storm well. Merry Christmas.

Lol you made me laugh. Who collected those plants?!

Back
Top Bottom