Recovering? Weak 14 week old chick, need help please.

TroyBlackburn

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
I have a 14 week old check that I discovered not doing so well about 10 days ago (some of you many have read/responded to my previous post https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1065236/12-week-old-chick-possibly-sick-need-help-please). I still can't say that I know what happened; some suggested that it could be cocci and they may be right, however she's not exhibited the typical symptoms as I've seen them in the past. I normally have some Corid on hand, however I went through my Chicken "pharmacy kit" and threw what I had out because it had gotten old and have been unable to get more in time for this chick. Regardless as suggested in a link provided by someone, I treated her with Oxytetracycline, which she is now off of. She's alert and eats and drinks on her own, though not as much as she probably should be as her crop doesn't get filled, so I periodically feed her by hand to make sure she's getting enough food. As I said she's alert and generally seems better, however she hasn't stood up for about 10 days and her legs seem very weak. She has no problems keeping her head up high. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how I can help her get some strength back?

Thank You
Troy

From the behaviour your chick is showing it feels as though she is recovering. You can consult some vet to administer some injections or some medication for regaining strength. It takes time though for them to be fully fit but you need to make sure to keep her healthy and not risk any other illness or injury.

Maybe give vitamin supplements ? A bit of a shot in the dark, but will not do any harm for sure
Ct

Thank you both for your replies; I'm happy to report that she's still with us. Seems to be feeling better and slowly regaining some strength. Emphasizing slowly. For quite a while her legs felt so weak, that I sometimes wondered if she was capable of moving them at all. The last few days I've noticed her moving them more (definitely still not standing or walking) and today I observed some increased strength and her even using her legs to move forward; again not standing or walking, but a definite increase in her leg strength. I'll be keeping her indoors and separated from the others until she has regained her strength.

You are most welcome. I hope that she continues her road to full recovery.

Ct

Its good to hear she's recovering. Just be patient and she'll soon be flapping and running around like nothing ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom