Recovery after hen has been egg bound

Butterflyzza

Hatching
Oct 16, 2018
Hi! I’m new to the group. My family and I bought 4 baby chicks 6 months ago and we have just fallen in love with them. Our one hen Chickaletta is very sick. I’m pretty sure she was egg bound. I looked up similar issues and how to resolve them in this site and they truly helped. I gave her an epsom salt bath and separated her from her sisters. She was able to pass her egg 3 days ago. Since then she doesn’t get up at all. She eats and drinks but she just lays in the same spot. I gave her another bath yesterday because her poop is just getting matted up in her feathers and I’m concerned she will get blocked up. Like I mentioned before, I’m new to having chickens and I just don’t know what the normal recovery time is and what I should expect? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

She is using the bathroom fine. I put her in a large dog crate located on my covered back deck. She’s got some towels and fluffing to lay on and her food and water are all right there where she can reach. Today I have noticed she seems like she’s out of breath and she’s squinting a lot as well. I have fears that it could possibly be mareks disease. All my other hens are fine though.

Hi! I’m new to the group. My family and I bought 4 baby chicks 6 months ago and we have just fallen in love with them. Our one hen Chickaletta is very sick. I’m pretty sure she was egg bound. I looked up similar issues and how to resolve them in this site and they truly helped. I gave her an epsom salt bath and separated her from her sisters. She was able to pass her egg 3 days ago. Since then she doesn’t get up at all. She eats and drinks but she just lays in the same spot. I gave her another bath yesterday because her poop is just getting matted up in her feathers and I’m concerned she will get blocked up. Like I mentioned before, I’m new to having chickens and I just don’t know what the normal recovery time is and what I should expect? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Was that her first egg?
Could she be exhausted?
I would continue with the epsom salt baths daily to keep her hind end clean and she could have a row of them. The labored breathing reminds me of egg binding because she is working to get egg out. She needs to be in a dark, quiet area that is warm.
Have you lubricated her vent? Inside?
Is her vent swollen and possibly causing pain? Prep H for that.
Do you see any skin or weird protrusions or looking like she is turning inside out? Even inside?
Do you know of a neighbor more familiar that could assist in an egg bind check?
Is her poop runny?
Do you have lights on past dark?
Is calcium free ranged?

Marek’s Disease

Most common symptoms

Lethargy
Sitting in a splint position.. one leg out front and one back.

Back
Top Bottom