Recurring blockage of the esophagus

treefrog95

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
I have a 1 year old buff orpington that keeps getting blockages of food in her esophagus. The vet has sedated her and removed them twice. This occurred a few weeks apart. After removing the blockage she felt better with a day. He symptoms when this occurs is foul odor from her mouth, difficulty swallowing, druling, and breathing, and fatigue. The vet is not sure why this is happening anyone have experience with this?

Poor biddy! Did the vet find any lesions in the throat? Almost sounds like thrush or canker.

I'm thinking a soupy slurry or crumble and water. Shoot - I might even put the food in a blender. Pellet smoothie! Lol

Does the hen have access to food 24/7? I've seen this happen a few times when mine run out of food and then scarf down their new food.

Poor biddy! Did the vet find any lesions in the throat? Almost sounds like thrush or canker.

I'm thinking a soupy slurry or crumble and water. Shoot - I might even put the food in a blender. Pellet smoothie! Lol
The vet gave me medication to treat her for both canker and thrush. I believe my other chickens had foul pox around the time that she first started doing this so we were thinking maybe she had wet pox. At first I thought one of my birds had a pecking injury but they stopped lay eggs for 2 weeks and all ended up with spots on their combs. I only have 5 chickens so by time I figured it out everyone had it. My sick bird is eating a little mostly watermelon sprinkled with prebiotic. I will try making a smoothie with yogurt and feed and oatmeal and see if she will eat that. Thanks for the advice I'm new to this and and at a loss!

The vet gave me medication to treat her for both canker and thrush. I believe my other chickens had foul pox around the time that she first started doing this so we were thinking maybe she had wet pox. At first I thought one of my birds had a pecking injury but they stopped lay eggs for 2 weeks and all ended up with spots on their combs. I only have 5 chickens so by time I figured it out everyone had it. My sick bird is eating a little mostly watermelon sprinkled with prebiotic. I will try making a smoothie with yogurt and feed and oatmeal and see if she will eat that. Thanks for the advice I'm new to this and and at a loss!
I hope the meds kick this affliction. Thank goodness you have a vet for this!

Keep us updated!

Huh. That's interesting and good to know!
Yes they have access to food and water 24/7. They free range most of the day and have waters throughout the yard and have food and water in the run. Their run is very secure so I leave the door open to the coop at night so in the morning they can get out in the run at will. I have only had chickens about 8 months so I am pretty green. Is it bad or good to let them have access to food 24/7.

Yes they have access to food and water 24/7. They free range most of the day and have waters throughout the yard and have food and water in the run. Their run is very secure so I leave the door open to the coop at night so in the morning they can get out in the run at will. I have only had chickens about 8 months so I am pretty green. Is it bad or good to let them have access to food 24/7.
It's fine. They don't eat at night anyway. The only problem would be that it can attract rodents, which cause harm. Pox is usually carried by mosquitoes. Not much anyone can do about that.

Back
Top Bottom