Recurring Soft Shelled Eggs

What is their feed like? Mixed grain? Crumble or pellet with added calcium?

Chickens are like people - they eat what they like, not what they need and hens high on the pecking order will take the best bits and not leave any for their subordinates. Especially with production breeds, offering free choice grains and feeds that don't have calcium mixed in can be a big cause of issues.

There is a poultry specific liquid calcium with vitamin d which is great for direct-dosing via syringe. It works it's way into their system quickly and is my go to for issues like eggbinding (which can also be caused by low calcium).

I think you've successfully pinned the issue as dietary, now it's just a matter if watching her eating habits to determine the best long-term plan for ensuring she's getting what she needs without the need to intervene like this.

Thanks for your tips Lizzie!

They get both - a bit of fermented mixed grains, but mainly organic layer pellets. I have never used feed with added calcium as I have always read from numerous sources that you should never do this as some chickens may need more or less depending on age and laying frequency and getting too much isn't good either, so you should always give calcium free-choice so they can eat whatever they need.

She's the only one with an issue, but I only have 2 eggers - all the others are multi-purpose heritage breeds.

I have heard of the liquid calcium supplement, so I will try to find some online (I couldn't find it locally), and maybe that will help. Lately she hasn't been wanting to eat the "private breakfasts" with the powdered calcium mixed in... Will see how it goes.

Thanks for your tips Lizzie!

They get both - a bit of fermented mixed grains, but mainly organic layer pellets. I have never used feed with added calcium as I have always read from numerous sources that you should never do this as some chickens may need more or less depending on age and laying frequency and getting too much isn't good either, so you should always give calcium free-choice so they can eat whatever they need.

She's the only one with an issue, but I only have 2 eggers - all the others are multi-purpose heritage breeds.

I have heard of the liquid calcium supplement, so I will try to find some online (I couldn't find it locally), and maybe that will help. Lately she hasn't been wanting to eat the "private breakfasts" with the powdered calcium mixed in... Will see how it goes.
It's usually in the parrot section of the petshop.

I don't keep any roosters, so everyone gets the highest protein layer pellet I could find in the area(as protein is supposed to help with heat tolerance and we're in a tropical climate). My flock was a mix - half hybrid, half heritage. All the hybrids reached their expiry date and passed one by one this last winter. Refreshing with heritage all the way. The calcium in their diet hasn't caused any issues in the 3 years I've been doing poultry - even considering the silkie, who spends too much time broody to lay many eggs.

Back
Top Bottom