Recurring Tapeworms

I always prefer to direct dose my birds so that I know that they each got the correct dose, just my preference. I think the question here is whether your birds are remaining infected after treatment, or are becoming reinfected from the environment, the only way to know for sure is to do a fecal float test before and after, to see if you have gotten rid of them for sure. I worm regularly for roundworms as they are in the environment and my birds will become infected again. Tapeworms require an intermediate host, so they are picked up when the bird eats an insect that has eaten the tapeworm egg, so slightly different mode of picking them up, still possible that if the environmental load is high they can re-infect after treatment. With any parasite the options are limited to TRYING to reduce the load in the environment as much as possible with sanitary practices and field rotation when possible, which is difficult, and treating regularly to keep the load down. I've not dealt personally with tapeworm, just roundworm, but from all my reading the treatment recommendation is usually praziquantel, which both the Equimax paste and the Zimecterin Gold contain. All I can recommend for you is to use a wormer that is effective on tapeworms, and get a fecal done after treatment to see if you have gotten them all. Then if they become infected again you know it's re-infection and you will probably need to do regular wormings to keep them under control due to the environmental load. Hope that helps.
Here are a few links: https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/tapeworm
http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/parasite-control-in-poultry.aspx
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/tapeworms

Yes, pretty sure they are getting reinfected from the environment. We live out in the country in Eastern NC. I let them free range in the back yard every afternoon and are in their coop/sand run in the mornings. I literally clean out their coop/run every day...but that is just my preference. Our very large yard is fenced in but I can't let them roam outside the fence because we live in an area of "country dogs" which roam freely 100% of the time and I am positive they would go after the chickens. I guess I will just have to wait and see how often I will need to do the regular wormings. As far as dosing directly, I would love to do that but my chickens do NOT like to be handled to say the least. I tried to do it once and they flailed so much I was worried they would get hurt in the process so it just didn't seem worth it. It was stressful for all of us. Lol. I have one that will let me pick her up and one who sometimes will let me pet her but the rest, forget about it. They finally don't scramble away when I walk in the coop but if I get within arms reach, they are off and running. I appreciate the advice. I think I will try the Zimecterin Gold.

If you keep seeing segments and don't see a gap for at least a small period of time, I'd say you are correct that whatever you are giving them isn't getting into them for some reason. Worm out gel is a good choice, but know that praziquantel is extremely unpleasant-tasting, so animals will avoid it at all costs if given the choice. Chickens don't really taste much, but I would suspect even they would find it unpleasant. I can see them avoiding water for 48 hours because of it.

And to be totally honest, I might consider not treating them at all if there are no symptoms (other than segments in the feces), since they are free-range and will continue to become reinfected over and over.

If you keep seeing segments and don't see a gap for at least a small period of time, I'd say you are correct that whatever you are giving them isn't getting into them for some reason. Worm out gel is a good choice, but know that praziquantel is extremely unpleasant-tasting, so animals will avoid it at all costs if given the choice. Chickens don't really taste much, but I would suspect even they would find it unpleasant. I can see them avoiding water for 48 hours because of it.

And to be totally honest, I might consider not treating them at all if there are no symptoms (other than segments in the feces), since they are free-range and will continue to become reinfected over and over.

I originally did the Worm Out Gel in early Dec and it did appear to work as I didn't see any evidence for two months but now they are back. They did drink the water over 48 because I use a clear bucket waterer and I put Sharpie markings at the water level and they consumed almost all of it within the 48 hours but I couldn't know for sure how much each bird got but felt like it was successful since there was no more evidence for two months afterwards. I was wondering the same, if it is worth treating since I am fairly certain they will be reinfected. But won't the worms kill them if they become overrun with them? Can it affect the eggs?

It should not have an effect on the egg quality. Other than the "GROSS!!!" factor, tapeworms are only a real issue in the final host when they are present in numbers that cause intestinal blockage, which can happen, but that's not the usual MO. Your girls will keep becoming reinfected as long as they are allowed to eat bugs.
Sorry for misunderstanding about the water treatments. It's good to know that worked for you, you may want to do that periodically just to ease your mind, but it's probably not realistic of you to expect to eliminate them.

I originally used Worm out in early December but I didn't know to do it again in 10 days. Maybe that would have helped?
Yes, it probably would have. I'm not sure why their directions don't mention repeating in 10-14 days. :idunno
Did you use enough? Their directions are a little confusing, but if I did the math correctly is 47 ml per gallon.

It should not have an effect on the egg quality. Other than the "GROSS!!!" factor, tapeworms are only a real issue in the final host when they are present in numbers that cause intestinal blockage, which can happen, but that's not the usual MO. Your girls will keep becoming reinfected as long as they are allowed to eat bugs.
Sorry for misunderstanding about the water treatments. It's good to know that worked for you, you may want to do that periodically just to ease your mind, but it's probably not realistic of you to expect to eliminate them.
Thanks Sue! I appreciate it. Yes, gross factor for sure. I can't imagine not letting them roam in the yard though. I didn't intend for them to be confined to the coop/run with all the space we have. So far, it doesn't seem to be slowing the girls down. They all eat and lay very well and look very healthy. I guess I just need to manage it as best I can.

Yes, it probably would have. I'm not sure why their directions don't mention repeating in 10-14 days. :idunno
Did you use enough? Their directions are a little confusing, but if I did the math correctly is 47 ml per gallon.
Yes, I used a 50ml bottle in a gallon of water. I don't remember seeing redosing advice but it is possible I just missed it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom