Recurring Tapeworms

I still need advice on how to get rid of worms eggs in my backyard. Never ending problem those worms.
You cant get rid of worm eggs, it's impossible.
Insects are the main vectors for tapeworm eggs. They are the intermediate host. You can try spraying your backyard to cut back on the insect population and not necessarily with chemicals. You can use a liquid soap spray or neem oil mixture which are examples of non toxic sprays that will effectively kill insects.

You cant get rid of worm eggs, it's impossible.
Insects are the main vectors for tapeworm eggs. They are the intermediate host. You can try spraying your backyard to cut back on the insect population and not necessarily with chemicals. You can use a liquid soap spray or neem oil mixture which are examples of non toxic sprays that will effectively kill insects.
I might try that Neem oil thing... Will it help or will is there no point doing it ? My backyard is quite big and i dont want to spend too much money/time spraying neem oil if its not necessary. is it safe for chickens to free range?

Neem oil can be toxic to some animals (like cats) and probably won't help you much toward your goal. It may change the natural ecology in your yard temporarily. Do you really want to do that?

Can you ask yourself why you feel like you have to eliminate tapeworms and their hosts? There comes a time when the effort, stress, cost and toxicity may make all of that not worth it. Tapeworms in their final hosts (those you find the adult worms in) are generally harmless. They're gross, sure. But are they really hurting anything? Will treating your flock for them make them healthier? I think that scenario is pretty rare.
I am not saying they're always harmless, but in general, I certainly don't worry about them in my chickens. I'll treat my chickens with a high-ish dose of fenbendazole if I suspect ascaridia and that will take care of other nematodes and tapeworms, but otherwise, I am not all that concerned with others.
Just my two cents.

Neem oil can be toxic to some animals (like cats) and probably won't help you much toward your goal. It may change the natural ecology in your yard temporarily. Do you really want to do that?

Can you ask yourself why you feel like you have to eliminate tapeworms and their hosts? There comes a time when the effort, stress, cost and toxicity may make all of that not worth it. Tapeworms in their final hosts (those you find the adult worms in) are generally harmless. They're gross, sure. But are they really hurting anything? Will treating your flock for them make them healthier? I think that scenario is pretty rare.
I am not saying they're always harmless, but in general, I certainly don't worry about them in my chickens. I'll treat my chickens with a high-ish dose of fenbendazole if I suspect ascaridia and that will take care of other nematodes and tapeworms, but otherwise, I am not all that concerned with others.
Just my two cents.
I've dealt with tapeworms many times and know what they can do to a chicken, and like any parasite they live off the host eventually weakening it which opens the door for diseases and other problems.
Treating the soil or yard isnt worth it, I've never done it and never will. The odds are that only 1-3 birds will be infected anyway, maybe out of a flock of 20 or so birds.
I wouldnt want my dog having tapeworms, nor any of my younguns carrying around a bellyful of them neither.

Just my two cents.
I live on a golf course, they use chemicals all around, but not in my backyard.
If there's no point in treating with insecticide then i wont spend that time/money for it but it means i will never get rid of the tapes? I might have to worm my hens on a very regular basis then because so far after treating the worms were back in their poop a few weeks later. But then, do i only regularly treat the ones with tapes and not the others?
Are tapes "contagious" ? Like if one of my hens has it, no risk they could catch some off her?
Sorry for all the questions!

… I have... followed
He
Dawg53's advice about worming but I am just not sure what to do next. We first dealt with tapeworm back in December. I had given a round of Safeguard a few weeks before on the advice of a local farmer but then read it won't deal with tapes. So gave Worm Out Gel on Dec 10th and seemed to resolve the problem immediately that is, until a few weeks ago. They are back...

Every tape worm segment that your chickens pass in their poop represents one brand new tapeworm. If your chickens supposedly free range they will reinfect themselves with every earth worm, cricket, snail, slug, grasshopper, or darkling beetle that they eat from tapeworm contaminated ground. This is one big reason that the experts say that chickens should have 25 acres of land on which to free range. This spreads the disease and parasite load and helps keep your flock healthy.

Diseases and worms are a big... in fact back in the day they were the biggest reason for free range farm animals, especially before science found out how these pests were spread.

Every tape worm segment that your chickens pass in their poop represents one brand new tapeworm. If your chickens supposedly free range they will reinfect themselves with every earth worm, cricket, snail, slug, grasshopper, or darkling beetle that they eat from tapeworm contaminated ground. This is one big reason that the experts say that chickens should have 25 acres of land on which to free range. This spreads the disease and parasite load and helps keep your flock healthy.

Diseases and worms are a big... in fact back in the day they were the biggest reason for free range farm animals, especially before science found out how these pests were spread.
We can't all have the chance to have 25 acres though...! So whats the best option to reduce the risk of infestation? I would say insecticide to kill those bugs...

Just my two cents.
How about this ? (photo attached) pretty cheap... could it be worth a try ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    507.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi guys. Sorry me again.
I went to the pet shop and they have 2 different Equimax paste. Which one would be best for tapeworm in chickens?
One has ivermectin + praziquantel.
Thanks

Attachments

• 09C08F70-B9FA-4612-A31D-4F57F3A74A4E.jpeg
    09C08F70-B9FA-4612-A31D-4F57F3A74A4E.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom