Recycled Chickens: Let's share what we do to save money and build with recycled materials

I have read that a rat/mouse can tread water for 3 days. :/ So that is why I never used water in the bucket. The old grease (old fish grease or chicken grease) doubles as far as them smelling the food aroma and coming to the bucket. They fight all night trying to get out and crawl the greasy walls until they tire out and kick the bucket (no pun intended). :/

From experience, they don't. I've never had one last the night.

Grease as bait is not a bad idea. From experience it is not necessary to keep them from climbing out.

Mice have very high metabolic rates. That may have something to do with why mine don't last until morning or why yours tire out so quickly. I really don't know. But I can assure you they don't tread water in there for three days.

I have read that a rat/mouse can tread water for 3 days. :/ So that is why I never used water in the bucket. The old grease (old fish grease or chicken grease) doubles as far as them smelling the food aroma and coming to the bucket. They fight all night trying to get out and crawl the greasy walls until they tire out and kick the bucket (no pun intended). :/

From experience, they don't. I've never had one last the night.

Grease as bait is not a bad idea. From experience it is not necessary to keep them from climbing out.

Mice have very high metabolic rates. That may have something to do with why mine don't last until morning or why yours tire out so quickly. I really don't know. But I can assure you they don't tread water in there for three days.

Ok great. That is great to know from experience about them not lasting the night. A lot of this stuff you read online makes you wonder. :p Thanks!

We are currently in the process of tearing out carpet and replacing with hardwood ( as in, the guys are upstairs right now while I've migrated to the basement). We are going to use the extra scrap pieces to build nesting boxes for our girls that should be laying in the next couple weeks. Their coop is going to be sporting some handscraped bamboo hardwood in an antique finish...

A mouse without food dies in 24 hours. (biology girl here) They drown in far less time than that, I guarantee it. A rat will outlast a mouse, but not for 3 days in water w/0 food and something to float on. They have a very high metobolic rate that requires high calorie content.

While most of the coop was built with new lumber(pressed for time but who hasn't been there. Chicks arrived before completion) Obviously the interior wall boards are off a friend of mine neighbors house slated for the dump. It is 7' lap board. I took all the pieces that were any good and just had enough. Anyway saved a few bucks and a little sweat equity applied. the dog run next to it was sort a recycle, belonged to my brother that he bought for his dog and never used. Another freebie.

Here it is when it was finished and since a smaller roost was added to the other side of the door(darn chicken math) as the flock has been added to.

I love this!!!! I reuse everything I can.... I like to score wood boxes from the store. And I have a couple of restaurants keeping compost. The peeps at the farmer maket trade me old produce for eggs and meat. Also, if you have a microbrewery around they have tons of really healthy grains they throw away everyday.

Back
Top Bottom