Red and black?

rudy_rooster

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
Connecticut
Is it genetically possible to have a chicken that is red and black? I mean truly red and black, like a barred bird with those colors, or black with red lacing. Something like that. Or are black and red both genetically dominate?

Is it genetically possible to have a chicken that is red and black? I mean truly red and black, like a barred bird with those colors, or black with red lacing. Something like that. Or are black and red both genetically dominate?
you can have a Red Barred bird with black on its tail...

and you can have a Red/Gold laced bird on a black background.. so yes its possible

Thank you. Do you know any breeds where these examples are common?
for the black and Red Barred you have the Rhodebar(Barred RIR)

as for the Red/Gold/Silver lacing on a Black background goes, the gentics are complicated most of this "Lacing" its not caused by the pattern gene found on laced birds... but one could work with birds tha show this trait and breed for it

for the black and Red Barred you have the Rhodebar(Barred RIR)

as for the Red/Gold/Silver lacing on a Black background goes, the gentics are complicated most of this "Lacing" its not caused by the pattern gene found on laced birds... but one could work with birds tha show this trait and breed for it

Wow, thanks for the photos. I'd read about the Rhodebar recently... very cool.

Back
Top Bottom