Red and maybe swollen rear end

mhegge

Songster
Sep 2, 2015
One of my girls had some crusty frozen feathers on her hind end (we are in Wisconsin so cold here) and I thought it looked red. I brought her in and used warm water and a washcloth and cleaned up her feathers and then dried her before taking her back out. But this spot is red and I don't know if it is swollen or if this is normal sized. She didn't squawk or flinch when I touched it and it doesn't feel hot or have any spot that it oozy. Could it just be irritated from the yucky feathers that are now cleaned up? She is on the nest and laying daily yet, at least I am assuming so as I see her on the nest daily and later there is an egg. It could in theory be others after her, but most lay before her and u get those eggs up right away. Usually she is my later morning layer so when I check around noon after she has been sitting and there is an egg.

It is probably just irratated, but check her for mites tonight (mites come out at night, you have to check then).

Hello fellow Wisconsinite, why was she went in the first place, did she fall or sit in some water or did she have diarrhea, I would think it is red because of being cold or even a bit of frostbite. I don't think it looks damaged, at this point all you can do is keep an eye on her for any other troubles and maybe find out how her bottom got wet.

If there are mites, are those just little bugs on the skin or the feathers? What do I do if I find mites?

Ok, just looked and no bugs to be found. I even checked the other birds and different spots too and the roost. So maybe just irritated then? It did look a little less red. Maybe redness could be from the cold and snow that just hit and the lack of feathering there?

She was probalbly just cold, like how noses get red in the cold. For futer reffrence, mites are very small black bugs that you find around the vent. They can cause scabs and irritation there. I use revolution to deal with them. It is a dog medication, so you just put a tiny drop at the on their back base of the tail under the feathers. You have to wait on eggs for 2 or so weeks though. Oldhenlikesdogs is right, just wait it out.

Hello fellow Wisconsinite, why was she went in the first place, did she fall or sit in some water or did she have diarrhea, I would think it is red because of being cold or even a bit of frostbite. I don't think it looks damaged, at this point all you can do is keep an eye on her for any other troubles and maybe find out how her bottom got wet.

Her feathers had some poop that crusted together and froze, not diarrhea but must have been wet enough. I took her inside and used a nice warm wash cloth to clean her up and noticed the red. I took that pic before I dried her feathers while she was still in the tub.

I checked her today and get feathers are looking fluffier already. I will check her again tonight and see if I see anything on her. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom