Red and maybe swollen rear end

One of my girls had some crusty frozen feathers on her hind end (we are in Wisconsin so cold here) and I thought it looked red. I brought her in and used warm water and a washcloth and cleaned up her feathers and then dried her before taking her back out. But this spot is red and I don't know if it is swollen or if this is normal sized. She didn't squawk or flinch when I touched it and it doesn't feel hot or have any spot that it oozy. Could it just be irritated from the yucky feathers that are now cleaned up? She is on the nest and laying daily yet, at least I am assuming so as I see her on the nest daily and later there is an egg. It could in theory be others after her, but most lay before her and u get those eggs up right away. Usually she is my later morning layer so when I check around noon after she has been sitting and there is an egg.

One of my girls had some crusty frozen feathers on her hind end (we are in Wisconsin so cold here) and I thought it looked red. I brought her in and used warm water and a washcloth and cleaned up her feathers and then dried her before taking her back out. But this spot is red and I don't know if it is swollen or if this is normal sized. She didn't squawk or flinch when I touched it and it doesn't feel hot or have any spot that it oozy. Could it just be irritated from the yucky feathers that are now cleaned up? She is on the nest and laying daily yet, at least I am assuming so as I see her on the nest daily and later there is an egg. It could in theory be others after her, but most lay before her and u get those eggs up right away. Usually she is my later morning layer so when I check around noon after she has been sitting and there is an egg.

Ok, just looked and no bugs to be found. I even checked the other birds and different spots too and the roost. So maybe just irritated then? It did look a little less red. Maybe redness could be from the cold and snow that just hit and the lack of feathering there?
She likely has feather mites also known as depluming mites. Don't bother looking for them they are too small to see. Feather mites in chickens are similar to face mites in you and I. Yes probably every human has little creepy crawlies coming out of our eye lashes.

This type of mite is extremely distressing to a chicken and they will often pick themselves naked trying to find relief.

She likely has feather mites also known as depluming mites.  Don't bother looking for them they are too small to see.  Feather mites in chickens are similar to face mites in you and I.  Yes probably every human has little creepy crawlies coming out of our eye lashes.

This type of mite is extremely distressing to a chicken and they will often pick themselves naked trying to find relief.

I don't think it's this as.none of the feathers have any "damage", just crunchy from getting frozen and then cleaned and then dried :) Her skin itself looks great, smooth as can be, just a little red. And none of the feathers appear qtip like. I checked her again tonight and she looked good, still a little red but seemed better. Still later today and is doing everything as normal. I'm going to just keep and extra eye on her each day and see what comes.

I don't think it's this as.none of the feathers have any "damage", just crunchy from getting frozen and then cleaned and then dried :) Her skin itself looks great, smooth as can be, just a little red. And none of the feathers appear qtip like. I checked her again tonight and she looked good, still a little red but seemed better. Still later today and is doing everything as normal. I'm going to just keep and extra eye on her each day and see what comes.
Everything that you mentioned that she DID NOT have sounds like lice or chicken (gray) mites. Two completely separate species from feather mites.

Feather mites are associated with bright red and almost bare or nude skin.

Have you been around this hen enough to see if she is plucking out her own feathers?

Last edited:
Everything that you mentioned that she DID NOT have sounds like lice or chicken (gray) mites.  Two completely separate species from feather mites.

Feather mites are associated with bright red and almost bare or nude skin.  

Have you been around this hen enough to see if she is plucking out her own feathers?

She is not plucking them out, not missing any actually, they just appear damaged from the poop being frozen on and subsequently cleaned up cosine ring we have temps below freezing for the last week. Her feathers are actually looking better today as they are starting to fluff out again versus being stuck together on the shafts thin.

One more thought that you might consider is putting her on a good round of yogurt in case this was some vent gleet (yeast overgrowth).

With all the cold, and if she is molting at all, it may just be red from elements...but is she had some yucky diarrhea, and red looking abdomen, with no bugs as a cause, you might consider a mild case of vent gleet.

Watch her and assess. The yogurt won't hurt and could help her to ward off a yeast infection. If Vent Gleet, that won't be catching to the other birds, per se, but it can make her far more susceptible to other illnesses, and if it gets bad, scar her vent such that she can become egg bound or worse spread into internal organs.

I've cured mild Gleet with yogurt (at least a week) and even spraying the vent area with some athlete's foot spray (Tinactin).

My thoughts.
LofMc

Back
Top Bottom