Red and Swollen under vent with no feathers

howdysarah

Chirping
Nov 7, 2018
Hi my 3 year old Barred Rock is acting normal, but she is red and swollen under her vent. She is eating, drinking and acting normal. I don't know if she has layed an egg recently or not, but the swollen area is squishy, not hard. I did see one little tan mite when I was taking pics up close, but she isn't necessarily "infested" with them. I washed her vent which was a tiny bit poopy, but not bad so the last few pics are her with wet feathers. I noticed several of her other feathers were broken.

Attachments

• IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    875.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0937.JPG
    IMG_0937.JPG
    656.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0940.PNG
    IMG_0940.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
What do you feed, & how often do you give treats? (want to rule out, being fat before jumping to a reproductive issue.)

I feed them Scratch n Peck organic layer feed (16% protein I think). They have a few handfuls of mealworms most days split between 11 chickens. They free range during the day and locked up at night.

I feed them Scratch n Peck organic layer feed (16% protein I think). They have a few handfuls of mealworms most days split between 11 chickens. They free range during the day and locked up at night.
Try to reduce how often you give mealworms? They're high in fat.

I searched up the feed you feed, & there's lots of grains non pelletized, or crumble form, so birds can be picky, choosy on what they want, & leave what they don't want. This also creates fat birds.

Curious if this resolved. I was searching through threads with this same issue. I also feed scratch and peck and mealworms for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom