Red ants inside almost-hatched egg!

Yes, we still have the geese and we still love them! They are 7.5 months old now, but we haven't seen any mating behavior or any eggs yet. Our male goose did mate one of our ducks once (the one that is now mama duck, so perhaps she is sitting on a deuce or a guck) but other than that, nada. When they are in the bath together Sopheap (the female, we think) gets all puffed up and I think she's flirting with him, but he doesn't go for it.

Yes, we still have the geese and we still love them! They are 7.5 months old now, but we haven't seen any mating behavior or any eggs yet. Our male goose did mate one of our ducks once (the one that is now mama duck, so perhaps she is sitting on a deuce or a guck) but other than that, nada. When they are in the bath together Sopheap (the female, we think) gets all puffed up and I think she's flirting with him, but he doesn't go for it.
Well I don't know about Cambodia but actual goose breeding season doesn't start here till mid to late winter. even though some have bucked the system and started early, they are the rebels. lol

Keep in mind, over in Cambodia they kinda only got two seasons, and this one, the cooler one, is still pleasantly warm. :p

Patiently waiting...

While I was checking on this guy I think I heard a peep from another egg!

Regarding the weather, it's 70 degrees right now and everyone is wearing sweaters and coats because it's deep winter.

Just found our goose in the duck house (where she's never shown any interest in going into before). I assume she's asking our duck when the duckling is coming! The head is out now and most of the egg is cracked off, she's just struggling with the membrane now.

Once the duckling arrives, what do I need to do? Should I put food and water in the house? I'm not sure what my role in all of this needs to be or if mama duck will take care of it on her own.

She's out of the egg but acting very strangely, she's been flailing around non-stop for the last hour and one of her eyes looks like the inner lid is infected and she can't open her eye properly. I washed it with salt water which seemed to help a bit. Is it okay for me to leave it in the house with her mom? She's just flailing around the house.

Last edited:
This could be just hatching or could be neurological hard to say at this time, but geese don't need to be in the duck house when ducklings are hatching. You just never know how they react, it's hard to know even how new moms will act. Exciting to hear you maybe getting another one that will be good to have at least 2 so they'll have each other.

Back
Top Bottom