Red around eyes & a bit puffy on chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedRoosterFarm, Nov 21, 2011.

1. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Question for all-
    I had a serama chick hatch out 6 weeks ago with a swallen eye. I treated for 2 weeks and it stayed swallon and would close and I would open and flush and put med in the eye. I put it down after trying for a few weeks. I did have her with others. I have since noticed maybe three 4 to 12 week olds now with kinda pink around the eye and a tad puffy. They just dont look right so I pulled the two that I noticed and looked at the eyes and couldnt see anything. I did apply some preasure to one that looked a bit puffier than the other and a tiny bit of hard like puss came out. I pushed a bit harder and a hard white clump core came out. No eye worm but not sure what. Someone freaked me out and said mereks but I thought if mereks, the eyes closed or swelled not like this. Again, this is not oozing or wet puss but it is harder. The eyes look pretty normal except maybe a little swallon. It has to be contagious because a few have it but no adults. No birds are sick that I can see. All get fresh food and water. The first chick that hatched out a few weeks ago with the swollen shut eye does not look like the ones that are swallen now so im not sure if they are related or what? Suggestions?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by