Red/black broilers vs Freedom Rangers

nmred

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 11, 2007
We are hoping to place an order for chicks soon and I need some advice. We are at a fairly high altitude (7300+) and so can't do the regular cornish crosses. Last year we raised the slow cornish from Priviett and liked them fine. This year, however, we'd like to try something else. Privett tells me that their red and black broilers will do well at our altitude and grow a little faster than the slow cornish (8 weeks instead of 10). The Freedom Ranger people tell me the same thing. So...which should I get? Has anyone ever raised these breeds and so can do a comparison for me? How about either of them compared to the slow cornish? I am especially interested in comparing breast/overall size, and flavor. Any other comments would be appreciated too. We are hoping to sell some of these birds at our local farmers market.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to your replies.
caf.gif

I really can't comment because I've never rasied the red or black broilers. From what I have read, they are marketed as being better suited for outdoor production. But, I just honestly don't know. Your climactic conditions are rather unique. You must be in Laramie or somewhere.

Thanks, silkiechicken. I have read the info on freedom rangers from greyfields. That's why I'm so interested in them.

Greyfields, thanks for responding, too. Wish you had experience with the red and black broilers. I'm sure you could tell me a lot. I don't live in Laramie. That's in Wyoming. I live in New Mexico, about 2 1/2 hours from Albuquerque. But it's still very high, so I can't raise the big corninsh crosses.
barnie.gif

The lack of response I'm getting tells me that my situation is very unique and no one really knows the answer to my question. So...I will have to be the one to experiment and let you all know the answer! I think we'll start with a batch of the red broilers from Privett since they are in the same state and this time of year the weather is still pretty iffy. I think they will probably ship better. Then, later in the summer, we'll try the FR's. I'll let you all know how they compare when we're done.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Try to keep good weight records so you can more accurately compare the two. I am interested in your experiment too.

I have 30 Black Broilers from Ideal Hatchery. They are 3 weeks old now, and quite hefty. I have not been weighing them but the smallest one is about the size of a jumbo Cotournix Quail.

They are very active and just dont sit in front of the feed bin.I will be butchering a few at 8 weeks to check the weight and shape. Right now I have been giving them chick starter with 21 percent protien, At 4 weeks I will feed them turkey grower (22%) till process time.

I will keep the board posted. So far no deaths or cripples.

Last edited:
What does altitude have to do with raising cornish? I live at 5280 feet above sea level, darn near a mile up.. my meat rabbits have no problems here, neither do the angoras, and regular chickens..

I'm raising some red broilers now, I will be processing them this week. I like them, I've already eaten a couple, they were very good! Look for my thread "processed red broiler" under the meat bird section.

I just noticed that Ideal has the red/black broilers on sale for .99 ea. I am considering getting 25. This will be my first go at chickens. I have done a lot of reading on this forum and think I am ready to jump in. .99 each may be just enough to make the leap.

Questions though...........Would an un-heated shop be ok to brood them in? Of course, heat lamps would be used. How large a brooder would I need for 25? Lastly, how old would they need to be before they go into a tractor? I'm located near Tulsa Oklahoma.

Thanks in advance

Larry

Last edited:
The higher the altitude---the more of a problem with "flip" in meat birds. I live at 7300 ft. and raise the slo gro broilers. Many people here have lost most of the regular Cornish X broilers to flip, usually 2/3 of their batch. You're probably at the break point in altitude or just plain lucky
D.gif

Slinky

Back
Top Bottom