Red Boodies and vents..... no feathers on neck

Bedste

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Cut n Shoot Texas
These two BA girls have similiar issues and the rest of the flock looks fine. Bare RED bottoms and hardly any feathers on the necks. These pullets are about 9 months old. One of them has a red fleshy looking bubble that I see right inside the vent. Pops out occasionally but I was unable to get a pic of it.

Help please!

Bedste, these pictures are a little dark.

But i'm just going to throw some thoughts out there.

Maybe the bulge inside the vent is unrelated.

Are the bare spots bloody at all?

Are they acting any different, or do they seem healthy otherwise?

They seem healthy otherwise.

They have purple on their necks from the blue kote

The boodies are not bloody at all only very very red and chapped looking.....

Sorry I can't help but I'll give you a bump.
idunno.gif

They could be molting, if there is no sign of pecking. The neck and the butt are two areas that often lose feathers, and they can molt at that age. Do you see any sign of new feathers (tiny porcupiny quills?) or feathers underneath the roosting area? When chicken skin is bare, it becomes red, this is completely natural. Have you looked them over carefully for mites or lice? Have you watched the flock to make sure no pecking is going on? I would up their protein with high protein treats, maybe a higher protein feed for a while to help them re-feather. The red bump on vent sounds like a bit of a prolapse and I would dab it with preparation H and keep an eye on it. Are they laying right now?

The 3 BA are in a flock of 9 variety of breeds and they are the only ones with naked necks and red boodies. They are not molting because this has been going on for MONTHS

any help is greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Well if it were mites, after months the others would get them too, but that's one thing I'd check for expecially around the vent.

I think these are just being picked on (or were) and haven't grown their feathers back.
If they're not being pecked bloody, then I'd just leave them be. I don't think there is much you can do to make them re-feather.

They do go through a nine month mini-molt, but it doesn't usually last that long. If you've dusted them for mites/lice, I'd give them canned salmon a couple times a week for a protein punch. Bare bottoms are normal in a molt and they often appear red. I have one hen who is getting over her molt, but has a big round bare spot on her bum. Has had it for months, but she is fine.

Back
Top Bottom