Red bourbon sick

Sailfishraider

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
I have a 2.5 yr old red bourbon that is not feeling well. He is barely eating and drinking. Is lethargic. Is not puffed up and strutting as usual. He lives free range with some wild turkeys and free range chickens. He is pooping liquid and some bright green. I am not sure what I should do as I cannot afford a vet. I live in Hawaii so warm year round. I was recommended a natural wormer (durvet- strike III) and 250mg oral capsules twice a day of cephealexin (he is between 30-40lbs). If anyone has some advice please let me know. Thank you.

Do you have chickens as well as turkeys? You might want to worm him with something stronger and effective, such as SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally, for 5 straight days. That would treat most allmworms, including cecal worms that can cause blackhead. A vet might test his poop for worms and coccidiosis for you.

Yes I have chickens as well but they are not in close quarters by any means. He’s actually doing much better his poop is solid and he’s much more conscious. I’m still going to keep him isolated for a few more days but I think the antibiotics did the trick. I’ll keep in mind the safeguard as a better dewormer. No vets around me even take turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom