Red Bourbons: New to Turkey’s

jennajolynne

Chirping
May 8, 2017
Upstate NY
BF8FAE16-40B9-4476-A3B6-824A97951DD9.jpeg
D48E4729-2515-4576-9E78-1DF04CF17531.jpeg
Hi there all. I recently acquired a red bourbon tom from a friend for free. He is awesome and we have really enjoyed him. He follows around are two broad breasted white hens and knew he needed some lady friends so we went and bought two red bourbon hens for him. Once isolation was complete we put them in a separate coop just the three of them and he wasted no time. A few questions I have are: Are two hens to one tom a good ratio? The guy stated they stopped laying back in April because he didn’t have a tom. Will they start to lay again this year? Ps they are one year old. I will also accept any tips on hatching poults. I would like to hatch some then let them set on their own. Also what do you think is a fair price for poults? TIA!

I don’t think they need a Tom to lay eggs any more than a chicken needs a roo. My friend has several female turkeys with her flock of chickens (no males if either) and they all lay eggs regularly. (Turkey eggs are SO rich and yummy!)

Are two hens to one tom a good ratio? The guy stated they stopped laying back in April because he didn’t have a tom. Will they start to lay again this year? Ps they are one year old. I will also accept any tips on hatching poults. I would like to hatch some then let them set on their own.
I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. Two hens is better than one but a tom can easily handle many more. I have seen the recommendation of at ten hens for one tom and at least one poster said they had no fertility problems with one tom to 13 hens.

Not having a tom had nothing to do with the hens laying or not laying. Your turkey hens should start laying again soon and continue on into October when they will shut down for the winter. If they go broody and hatch out a clutch they may be done laying for the year at that time.

Porter's Egg Hatching Tips

Porter's Tips on Starting Your Poults

This is so helpful thanks so much! I will keep looking for more hens for him then. The guy we got the hens from only had the two. How long should I keep them cooped up before letting them free range? I had no problems with the tom free ranging with my chickens before, he just went into his own coop at night.

This is so helpful thanks so much! I will keep looking for more hens for him then. The guy we got the hens from only had the two. How long should I keep them cooped up before letting them free range? I had no problems with the tom free ranging with my chickens before, he just went into his own coop at night.
If I understand correctly, you already have two BBW hens and are now adding two Bourbon Red hens which will bring you to a total of 4 hens for your one tom.

Every situation is different. Part of it will be how they interact once the new hens are out of quarantine. I assume that you have quarantined the new hens as it is the proper procedure when bringing in any new flock members. I believe quarantine is at least two weeks to give you time to make sure the new members are not bringing in any diseases or pests to your flock.

Once the new flock members are introduced, observe the interactions of the flock and use that as a guideline as to how long they need to be penned before free ranging.

I’m sorry no I only have two bourbon hens. They were quarantined and are now in a pen with the tom. They have been together three days now. I also have two broad breasted white hens but they will be butchered in the summer or early fall.

I’m sorry no I only have two bourbon hens. They were quarantined and are now in a pen with the tom. They have been together three days now. I also have two broad breasted white hens but they will be butchered in the summer or early fall.
I had a Bourbon Red tom mate with a BBW and they produced a gorgeous Red Bronze tom.

Back
Top Bottom