RED BROILER ST RUNS...Processing Age?

Apr 9, 2021
So, I purchased the red broilers on accident actually. I wanted broilers, but not reds. I'm not finding any answers on Google about how old to kill them. I have found 12 weeks for Red Rangers, but not for red broilers. Maybe it's the same thing. The roosters are getting bossy and kind of mean, and I want to go ahead and process them, but they're only 7 weeks old. I think they're too small still. I won't be processing this breed again, because this is a longer wait time than I wanted and I'm feeling them twice as much.

So, I purchased the red broilers on accident actually. I wanted broilers, but not reds. I'm not finding any answers on Google about how old to kill them. I have found 12 weeks for Red Rangers, but not for red broilers. Maybe it's the same thing. The roosters are getting bossy and kind of mean, and I want to go ahead and process them, but they're only 7 weeks old. I think they're too small still. I won't be processing this breed again, because this is a longer wait time than I wanted and I'm feeling them twice as much.
In my understanding, Red rangers are the same as red broilers.

If the boys are old enough to make trouble, they are old enough to eat, in my book! If they are 3 pounds live weight, that is big enough around here. That is a good age for BBQ chicken. If you do some of them early, the rest will be more peaceful and you can do them in a couple more weeks. How many and how much space they have, makes a difference. Separating the males from the females could give you a little more time to let them grow to the size you want, too.

You don't process by age.. You process by weight.. 7 weeks for the type is a bit early unless your wanting a Cornish hen size bird.. Are you growing on a 20% protein ? Your post indicates that your new to this. The said roos are doing what chickens do, no mean or bossy it's just chicken life at that age... If your not on a 20% protein your wait time is longer.. We have the white broilers, hatched 3-22 , weight 4-17 pound and a half, we'll look to butcher 1st part of June and they should weigh in @ 5.5-6 lbs and

Back
Top Bottom