red-brown bantam cochin (pics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by technodoll, Nov 4, 2011.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    so yesterday i found out that my little 6 month-old bantam cochin, Sugar, is a "red-brown" - all along I had thought she was a faulty birchen or something!

apparently the color isn't too common?

what do you think of my little girl?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I knew some folks were working on brown Red cochins but was not aware of how it was going. She does have decent brown red color and pattern. I do like the gypsy face on her as a birchen / brown red should have, at least in other breeds.

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pretty! [​IMG]

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Very pretty! I want a bantam Cochin.

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I want one in LF please.

6. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Talk to Bo Garret, he has been working on LF Brown Red for a while..

7. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    thanks everyone!

the funny thing is that i hatched her from an egg i got from a friend and he only said "it's a bantam cochin, probably birchen" - he doesn't always know the treasures he has in his breeding pens [​IMG]

i'll have to tell him the good news... he hatched a few more and they're all girls who look like mine so he must have a good breeding pair!

8. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:I've heard the term Gypsy face before - but I'm not sure what it is?? Could you elaborate, please. Thanx!!

9. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:I've heard the term Gypsy face before - but I'm not sure what it is?? Could you elaborate, please. Thanx!!

the dark color to the face and comb, bordering on black looks kind of purpleish, the earlobes will turn a purple color when in production. this is a common trait with birchen based (ER) birds.

I like the tiltle under your user name, is that easier than saying Laced Cochins?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  10. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop

the dark color to the face and comb, bordering on black looks kind of purpleish, the earlobes will turn a purple color when in production. this is a common trait with birchen based (ER) birds.

I like the tiltle under your user name, is that easier than saying Laced Cochins?

Gypsy face - I figured it must have to do with the purplish tones - Thanx!

PgMlCo - I changed it a couple of months ago, and you're the first to comment on it!! No one's even asked what it means!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by