Red bumps on my rooster’s face

lilbiscuit

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2022
My 8 month old rooster just recently had wry neck. Now all of a sudden he has these red swollen raised areas on both sides of his face that he has made bleed. Does anyone know what this is from? I thought it might be his ears, I checked them and they look good. His eyes look great. I treated him for eye worms which of course he didn’t show any signs of. And his ears got a good check and clean by me. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have only been doing this for a year now and I am still learning.

Attachments

• D7D8204A-4EDA-4540-8E0C-84319C161F3D.jpeg
    D7D8204A-4EDA-4540-8E0C-84319C161F3D.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 4D2BD3F6-1E34-4FE8-8042-E602F16799E3.jpeg
    4D2BD3F6-1E34-4FE8-8042-E602F16799E3.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 3
Could they possibly be scabs? Injury? Perhaps another chicken pecked at them and caused the injury and scabbing? It looks too dark to be under the skin--it resembles dried blood much more. I'm not an expert on diseases, but I've had my share of external injuries. The bumps/scabs look like they're exactly over the ears. You say you checked them, but what did you exactly check? I might be completely misunderstanding, but those scabs/bumps look placed over the ear like maybe he had been pecked in the ear 'holes', and it bled. Have you tested his hearing? Try making noises and seeing his reactions--maybe his inner ear is injured? I'm honestly stumped besides saying it's dried blood or a scab.

Could they possibly be scabs? Injury? Perhaps another chicken pecked at them and caused the injury and scabbing? It looks too dark to be under the skin--it resembles dried blood much more. I'm not an expert on diseases, but I've had my share of external injuries. The bumps/scabs look like they're exactly over the ears. You say you checked them, but what did you exactly check? I might be completely misunderstanding, but those scabs/bumps look placed over the ear like maybe he had been pecked in the ear 'holes', and it bled. Have you tested his hearing? Try making noises and seeing his reactions--maybe his inner ear is injured? I'm honestly stumped besides saying it's dried blood or a scab.
Thanks so much for answering. I can see into his ears they were clean. These are raised areas right next to the ear hole and yes it looks as if they were pecked or scratched as they had crusty blood on them. But other than that he seems to hear me ok moves his head to noises on either side.

It looks like he may have been scratching his head. Have you checked him for lice and mites on his skin? You could also clean his ears with hydrogen peroxide and QTips, then apply plain vaseline or antibiotic ointment into his ear canals and massage. That would kill any ear mites.

It looks like he may have been scratching his head. Have you checked him for lice and mites on his skin? You could also clean his ears with hydrogen peroxide and QTips, then apply plain vaseline or antibiotic ointment into his ear canals and massage. That would kill any ear mites.
Yes I actually did do all of that with his ears. Which his ears actually look pretty good. I have noticed mites on him, little brown ones. I put garlic in their feed and have a large dust bathing area with diatomaceous earth worked into it. Any more suggestions on how to get rid of the mites? It’s zero degrees winter time here now.

Mites really require a miteacide such as permethrin garden dust used at least twice at 7 day intervals. Use a magnifying glass to look at the mites, to make sure they have 8 legs. Lice are tan and have 6 legs, and are more elongated. Empty your coop bedding and nest boxes, and treat your coop with permethrin 10 spray, before adding new coop bedding. Are you in the US? If so, Martins or Gordons permethrin 10 is available at most feed stores to mix with water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer to treat the coop.

Mites really require a miteacide such as permethrin garden dust used at least twice at 7 day intervals. Use a magnifying glass to look at the mites, to make sure they have 8 legs. Lice are tan and have 6 legs, and are more elongated. Empty your coop bedding and nest boxes, and treat your coop with permethrin 10 spray, before adding new coop bedding. Are you in the US? If so, Martins or Gordons permethrin 10 is available at most feed stores to mix with water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer to treat the coop.
Thank you for all of the information. I am in the US and I will start to look for the products you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom