Red Chick Breed?

ihatedarkroast

Songster
Sep 28, 2021
Martinsville, Virginia, USA
IMG_20220925_135723878.jpg
IMG_20220925_135811078.jpg
Sorry the colors are a bit off because of the heatlamp, but I tried to white balance it a bit. So, the other chicks are cornish cross from Rural King. One died. The orange chick I got as a replacement a few days later. It came from the same bin. But it's definitely not a CC. The guy who pulled it was not the chick lady but a random manager as she was gone that day. And the store was a zoo from too many customers and not enough staff. I didn't see right away what I was getting because the bin was towards the back, and the chick went straight into a closed box.
There was a note on the outside of the bin saying "Only the yellow CC broilers are for sale". So I think I accidentally got a chick from someone's online pre-paid order. But those usually have names on them of people, this one didn't.
Anyway, there were ISA brown and New Hampshire red, production red, and Rhode Island red in some of the front bins. I don't think it was a prairie bluebell or americana or other fancy breeds. Rural king also carries cinnamon queen, red ranger broilers, and buff orpingtons but I did not see any listed that day but could have been on special order.
I'm kinda hoping/thinking this is a pullet and an egg layer not a meat bird. A few days after this picture and the cc meaties have almost doubled in size compared to the orange chick. It's getting pushed around a lot, but seems to be doing ok despite being the runt. It wants to be in the center of the flock squished up against the other birds with only its orange head sticking out so hard to get a really good picture of. Also it has a turd stuck to its butt. XD I tried soaking it off in warm water but its glued on really good. Whats the best way to get it off without traumatizing the tiny thing? Lol

Pasty butt can be remedied by dampening the area and softening the dry poop until it will come off. Is sometimes a sign of an underlying issue.

As for which breed, it's hard to say until the chick is older, unfortunately. I am going to guess a production type breed because based on this photo she is lighter in color than, say, a Rhode island red (a darker reddish down with faint yellow stripes) or a new Hampshire (they are usually chipmunk striped I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong).
I'm going to say isa brown, production red, or maybe a cinnamon queen if someone ordered her and you ended up with her.
Anyone else have a guess? Same? Different?

I tried that a few days ago, but it was hard to get just that area wet, as it's so small. The chick started to get cold and tremble, so I put it back under the heat. I may try it again now that it's stronger. The turd is from the second day I had it. It is a lot more lively now. Hooray. Thanks for the advice and the guesses!

I tried that a few days ago, but it was hard to get just that area wet, as it's so small. The chick started to get cold and tremble, so I put it back under the heat. I may try it again now that it's stronger. The turd is from the second day I had it. It is a lot more lively now. Hooray. Thanks for the advice and the guesses!
That was probably a good idea, to back off on trying to get it off. they can get chilled so easily. If the poop chunk is not blocking the vent and the chick is able to go to the bathroom then it's not a very pressing issue, no need to worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom