Red Cross VS Golden Comet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EasterEgger101, Feb 3, 2017.

1. EasterEgger101

EasterEgger101 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi,
    My local feedstore is going to have Golden Comets and Red Cross chicks this Spring. The Golden Comets are bred from a Male RIR and a female White Rock, while a Red Cross is supposedly bred from a Male RIR and a female Columbian Rock. Would there be any difference in egg production or breed characteristics? It sounds to me like they would practically be the same bird besides having a different variation of Rock from the mother. Does anybody with more experience recommend one breed over the other? I will either buy one breed or the other, but I'm not sure which is better. Thanks.

2. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    They are essentially the same thing, a red sex link. They should both be stellar layers of light brown eggs. I would get some of each.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Pretty much the same.

the chicks from the white Rock mother may be a touch larger, then again they may not, depending on the stock the hatchery uses. White Rocks were bred to be meat birds, true dual purpose, so they tend to run a bit larger than other varieties.

The chicks from the Colombian mother may have some black ticking/Colombian markings when they mature.

As to laying, they'll probably be pretty much identical. Temperament should also be about the same.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by