1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red dots in the yoke???? What is it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother hen to many!, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    I am so new to the fresh egg think that I cracked my first egg to cook today and there was 2 red dots in the white thing attached to the yoke. What is that and why is it there? Can anyone help me with this? I KNOW NOTHING about chickens and eggs except what I have read here the last couple of days.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They're blood spots, caused by broken blood vessels during the formation of the egg. Harmless. You can do a search here on BYC about them; just type in 'blood spots'.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Search meat spots/ blood spots. It's fine and normal.

4. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    Now I feel dumb. I threw away 3 eggs thinking they were babies forming! lol. [​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can still eat fertile eggs.

6. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    I need some help.I am having staggering hatches.The ducks would not sit on them so I got upset and nervous and brought them in and put them in the bator.well I can tell most all are fertile.Some more full than others.I see veins,and then I look down and then I see this little black dark spot.Is everything ok,it has movement.Most all have movement.I started putting them in last Monday,and have put more in every since.I stopped Sunday.What do u think .Have I done the wrong thing.I have hatched a lot of eggs but this is my 1st of doing like this.And I have not wrote down much of anything. Someone tell me if I am wrong or what to do,,,,,,,Thanks if you have any ideas.I don`t want them to die. Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by