Red droppings; pale yolks on free ranging chickens ? Help!

ClunyCapull

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
About two weeks ago, brought home some baby chicks. All had reddish droppings- like a rust color. Thought maybe they had been fed a red feed, like a manna pro. Some got watery. Some redder.
Unfortunately, a predator tragedy left me with no chicks and one of my beloved hens gone.
That same day, one hen had blood on the outside of her egg and camped in a nest box. Some blood on the box rim. I thought she had an escape, but maybe a small injury.
That was saturday. She has not left the nest box that I am aware of; I see no sign of injury. She had had no additional eggs. She will eat and drink when offered and is pooping. She protests when I move her to clean.
But now I have found reddish droppings from my hens.
This is my first year with chickens.
Vet says shes just gone broody, don't worry. (telephone consult, he says he will only come out for an entire flock!- he is my horse vet)
She is a little silkie type (apparently not full) from april of this year.

Any one have any suggestions?

Oh, and along with intermittent reddish droppingfrom the other hens, the normally rich bright golden yokes are pale; like a grocery store egg!

Sounds like the chicks had Coccidia. And intestinal parasite. Maybe then hens do too. It doesn't usually effect older birds, but it can. Can you post a picture of the red poo? Also, it does sound like she may be broody, but that does not mean she isn't also sick. Post a pic of the poo and I'll be able to help further.

I used to treat my chicks for cocci if i wasnt using medicated feed.
Sometimes people don't know they either are or are not using a medicated feed.

Back
Top Bottom