Red Fox Box trap question

tellynpeep

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 4, 2008
SW New Hampshire
Does anyone have experience catching fox in a box-type trap? What size trap do you recommend? The Havahart website recommends their largest trap, which has a 15" X 15" opening. This seems big to me (and the traps are about $100!) I'll use one if I need to, but am hoping someone else has some thoughts here. Thanks!

The bigger the better when it comes to fox. I have had very poor luck using box traps for red fox. Grays is another story. I have only ever caught 4 reds in box traps - 3 juveniles and one adult male with a broken lower jaw - poor thing was starving to death. Do a search on 'drift fence fox box trapping'. Prophet posted some information about a technique that he uses. You might also want to do a search on 'snaring red fox'. This is an extremely effective way of catching them. Good luck at resolving your problem.

Thank you! I know exactly where s/he is getting into the chicken run, and have its pattern pretty well down on trail cam. Just didn't know if I should actually lay down the money for a havahart. I know they are wiley, but they are getting really bold around here... I'm counting on careless too. I'll let you all know when I catch it!

Well, I've had the trap set for about 4 days, with no action. I also have my trail cam on it, so I will know if the fox comes what its behavior is around the trap. Well, today I was reviewing yesterday's pics from the cam, when I lost another bird!!! So the camera didn't pick up the attack. It somehow got into my reinforced pen and back out with my last Barnevelder hen. Right next to the trap that is sitting there with some nice rotting chicken meat in it. If I didn't have a dog I would be setting leg-hold traps for the fox. Any more tips on trap placement or camouflage? That coop has gone from 13 to 1 bird in the last 2 months. I'm really tired of foxes....

Fox are very difficult to catch with a box trap. Juveniles tend to be easier to catch than adults.

A properly set leg hold would probably be more successful than a box trap.

I have the Havahart model 1081 which I believe is their largest trap and It caught a red fox either last night or today sometime. Our local feed store had it priced at $80 which was the cheapest I've seen it anywhere, including online.

Who knows if I'll catch anymore though.

Wayne

I have the Havahart model 1081 which I believe is their largest trap and It caught a red fox either last night or today sometime. Our local feed store had it priced at $80 which was the cheapest I've seen it anywhere, including online.

Who knows if I'll catch anymore though.

Wayne
Duke brand traps are generally cheaper rubber jawed legholds are available I think you are severly limited as to what is legal in Ct with fox and cages bigger is better greys are easy to catch reds do not want to have to crawl (bend down) into a cage google 'drift fencing fox cage trapping' most of the time this will produce a coupla good top links the website is down right now they are changing servers at this point

Back
Top Bottom