Red Fox in Barn at 0415

Pics

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Early in AM dog came in to annoy me as making breakfast. I went out to porch and shined barn with light to see to bright blue-green eyes shining back at me. Red Fox actually in barn where I have well over a 100 chickens sleeping in several cages / pens. Dog and I went to barn with dog (Lucy) sweeping around back side from direction of pond. As I approached barn I could here a lot of rumbling as fox tried to get through electrified fence. That fence was not hot but outer perimeter is. Lucy gave fox a good scare as it almost ran into her after being tripped up by fence. Fox tried to get at cock and pullet in elevated pen on back side of barn. They were worried, but intact.

Barn fence will made hot today. This will be addressed mostly by tweaking the fencing. Today is my day off so will look for weak spot in outer fence perimeter. This fox is familiar with hotwire like my dogs so keeping him out will be tougher than average but we will keep him out. This was likely his first visit in quite some time.

If I ever saw a fox near my chickens I’d beat it to death with my own two hands
Or shoot it...I’d be taking a gun with me next time or take up a hiding spot and wait for return and well..I’m sorry I love all animals but mine are mine and I love them dearly and if anyone’s gonna be eating them it will be me..

Possibly a second fox came in this morning around same time as the previous morning. It looked decidedly small. Fox bolted in bee-line to where I think their a gap fox might be able to jump if careful. It was messing around where I suspect rabbits have located their nests. Will be sleeping on deck tonight with spot light to see what is up.

Getting inside perimeter is worth it for a fox because prey very abundant. It is not simply a heavily grazed pasture.

I laugh when people say shoot the small animal. Shooting a small Fox that is moving with a rifles next to impossible. Using a shotty can cause other issues! God forbid u shoot more than the fox, you will have some serious questions to answer..

It's best to think rational and make a game plan with your brain and not with your emotions!

Sounds like you already know what to do!

Dogs and I did a walk through to sniff out fox is moving about in poultry area under the radar about same time every morning. Lucy working interior of pen area paid particular attention to areas more than 20 yards from pens. Fox not going into barn since first night. Fox is steering clear of where it might disturb roosters. When roosters make alarm dogs there very quickly and fox may have figured that out. Dogs walked in parallel around perimeter about 20 feet apart and started popping on same game trail to east of poultry yard. Very narrow game trail so likely fox is largest user. Fox is also stealing dead chicks set out of carrion beetle observations. It had to do a lot of digging for a small carcass and it appears carcass was consumed on site. Tonight I will setup a game camera and place another carcass in a live trap. Trap will not catch anything, but will force fox to work where I can record.

This is a smart fox so will be learning from him.

Back
Top Bottom