Red fox spotted!

Yes, a mink is absolutely in the weasel family and they, just like the entire weasel family are merciless killers. If they get in your coop at night, they will kill every bird in it. If they can. People always say that animals kill only what they can eat. Horse apples!! Just about every predator that preys on chickens will kill many times more than they could ever possibly eat.

The only predator I've ever heard of that was illegal to catch or kill was raptors (birds of prey). I've surely never heard of any jurisdiction where it was illegal to trap, shoot or otherwise stop any predator like weasels, coons, possums or foxes that's killing your stock. Even your neighbor's dogs that are allowed to run loose are fair game even in the most animal-friendly areas. This nation was founded and remained an agrarian society up until very recent history. Laws protecting your stock have been on the books for generations.

Well I didn't catch anything. I guess I'll leave it out another night...Does predators not come back every night? Or more like randomly?

The only predictable thing about predators is their Unpredictability. Leave that trap baited until you catch it. You may have to changes tactics several times before you get your chicken killer.

One important thing you have going for you is that the predator is coming into close proximity to humans. Leaving your scent around your trap shouldn't hurt your chances very much. You've gotta be as persistent as he is.

They don't necessarily come back every night....and some are trap wary.

Foxes are at the top of the list for the most successful predators around here with hawks a distant second. The only reason we know raccoons and possums exist is because we see them hit on the road and those are the only two things we have ever caught in a trap.
A rooster is great at sounding the warning so the hens can hide and may even fight or scare off a hawk, but again, foxes are a whole other story.
We know we have foxes. We've seen them and we've seen their wreckage. They are extremely smart and sneaky, and we have built, bought and used every trap we have heard of as have many of our neighbors. Foxes may be nosey and look at a track but so far all have evaded them.
Our neighbors who have put out traps concur. They catch everything but the intended fox.
The best bet is to set your chickens up so their coop is like Fort Knox. A good guard dog can be invaluable, as can a gun.

If you visit trapping websites with photos, you will see a preponderance of fox pelts hanging in the sheds of trappers. And, they will give you all you need to know on trapping foxes. Again, foxes are voraciously hungry. They are also very curious. Your foxes are accustomed to human scent and will not shy away from your scent as much as they do in the wild.

Use ALL of these traits to your advantage. Possums cannot pass up a good stinky bait and are by far the easiest to catch. Coons are a close second. Foxes are infinitely smarter than both of the former. And, you are infinitely smarter than a fox. If you approach trying to trap a fox or coyote with the same lackadaisical effort you expend on catching possums and coons, you will fare no better than dekel18042 and his neighbors.

If you know where a fox is travelling, snares in these places are very effective and they're cheap. You can even use sticks, logs or any obstacles you may deploy, to funnel them where you want them to pass.

Takes a little thought and maybe considerable effort. But, I promise, you have the advantage over a dog!!!

If you visit trapping websites with photos, you will see a preponderance of fox pelts hanging in the sheds of trappers. And, they will give you all you need to know on trapping foxes. Again, foxes are voraciously hungry. They are also very curious. Your foxes are accustomed to human scent and will not shy away from your scent as much as they do in the wild.

Use ALL of these traits to your advantage. Possums cannot pass up a good stinky bait and are by far the easiest to catch. Coons are a close second. Foxes are infinitely smarter than both of the former. And, you are infinitely smarter than a fox. If you approach trying to trap a fox or coyote with the same lackadaisical effort you expend on catching possums and coons, you will fare no better than dekel18042 and his neighbors.

If you know where a fox is travelling, snares in these places are very effective and they're cheap. You can even use sticks, logs or any obstacles you may deploy, to funnel them where you want them to pass.

Takes a little thought and maybe considerable effort. But, I promise, you have the advantage over a dog!!!
. Snare traps, pit traps, disguised box traps for want of a better name would catch possums or raccoons which were never the problem. You have to be careful of traps to make sure they don't catch poultry or other livestock so they need to be unset or neutralized during the day. Hav-a harts are safe as far as if a cat or chicken gets in them but foxes avoid them like the plague. Foxes got no chickens whenever a dog was out.
This year foxes in our neighborhood were shot. Just saying what works for our rural neighborhood, six poultry owners in a two mile stretch.

Hey dekel18042
Sorry, I should have commented differently. I didn't mean to imply you don't know what your doing. Just tried to encourage OP and others to be persistent with these dogs. I am convinced that the cage traps are the LEAST EFFECTIVE by far.

Back
Top Bottom