Red Foxes! How do I get rid of them?

Pics
We have always had foxes around gray's and reds we've had our chickens for just over 10 years and never had an issue with the gray fox or the red fox until 2 months ago when the red fox had killed 2 Hens.Then this past week we've seen 2 red fox one looks sickly it's tail is like a stick no hair on it and a normal looking one. One of them got another hen and was in the process of trying to grab another Hen 2 days later when my Husband ran up and scared it off and it let go of our Hen she's unharmed.. Since then we've shut them in our small run that my Husband covered the top with wire. They're relentless coming constantly all day when my Husband isn't standing guard outside with them and we hear our Rooster going crazy crowing our German Shepherds run look out the bedroom window and then run to the backdoor to get outside to run over to the pen we have chased the Healthy looking fox off all day! He keeps coming back we see where it killed a morning dove as it's got feather collection piles just inside the woods Help help help!! Our chickens have always free ranged every afternoon and now their not able to leave the run.any suggestions on how to get them to move on??? I truly appreciate any suggestions that would help us save our flock.
The best way to discourage predators is to put an electric fence on the outside of your containment fence. Three or four wires ten inches apart with the first about six inches off the ground . Predators will be trained to stay away with one contact. I have had chickens for 6 years in a rural area and ground predators have never been an issue. An electric fence is a cheap investment and a permanent solution for years to come.

Ugh, I can't stand these animal lovers who think they're doing wild animals a favor by feeding and taking care of them. A wild animal's best defense for survival is its natural fear of humans. As soon as you start feeding them, they lose that, and they become bold and territorial and even aggressive. They start making a nuisance of themselves, which inevitably leads to them getting shot. I understand that wild animals seem cute and cuddly and people want to feel like they're Snow White by making all the little critters fawn at their feet, but people need to grow up and understand the realities of life and stop treating wild animals like pets! </rant>
I know, that neighbor is not too swift. Fox is constantly hunting mice, moles & voles, my hard if full of his little dug up divets. I'm just glad I had the sense to build sturdy safe pens for my flock.

We have always had foxes around gray's and reds we've had our chickens for just over 10 years and never had an issue with the gray fox or the red fox until 2 months ago when the red fox had killed 2 Hens.Then this past week we've seen 2 red fox one looks sickly it's tail is like a stick no hair on it and a normal looking one. One of them got another hen and was in the process of trying to grab another Hen 2 days later when my Husband ran up and scared it off and it let go of our Hen she's unharmed.. Since then we've shut them in our small run that my Husband covered the top with wire. They're relentless coming constantly all day when my Husband isn't standing guard outside with them and we hear our Rooster going crazy crowing our German Shepherds run look out the bedroom window and then run to the backdoor to get outside to run over to the pen we have chased the Healthy looking fox off all day! He keeps coming back we see where it killed a morning dove as it's got feather collection piles just inside the woods Help help help!! Our chickens have always free ranged every afternoon and now their not able to leave the run.any suggestions on how to get them to move on??? I truly appreciate any suggestions that would help us save our flock.
Had same problem 30 years ago. Ended up burying coop fence 1 foot deep and adding a roof over it. A couple of yard dogs also on guard and still had foxes show up. Don't have to worry about them now as the coyote population has eradicated foxes from this area, but they too like the taste of chicken. Vigilance is the only thing to keep chickens safe.

We used to not kill foxes unless they attacked one of our chickens. No more. If they are close they die. I love foxes otherwise and say a little prayer for them before I pull the trigger. Forget pellet guns. Use a .22. Best round is the aquilla 60 grain which is a large heavy slow moving round and it uses a .22 short case, is subsonic and relatively quiet. I do not know where the notion that another fox will move in comes from. Foxes are very smart and the word gets out to stay away from Elmer Fudd's chickens pretty quickly. We leave the carcass in the vicinity. Alternatively you can shoot near them and that works pretty well to keep just that fox away especially if you kick up debris onto them. If you can't protect your chickens, please don't raise them.

It is DEFINITELY not rabies, and the canid no doubt has skin issues...perhaps mange, but I’m looking at the probability that the mange is not contageous..only due to poor overall body condition. I would also suspect that the fox with ‘mange’ is an adolescent and not an adult. Could you assess the ‘breachable’ factor of security for your coop? You must find a way to make prevent predators from entering and i know it is very difficult. My coop is secure...nothing can get in and nothing can get out...but I still have problems with the durn rodents. The other wonan who answered your post is so correct. Killing the foxes is not going to solve your predator problem at all due to the vacuum effect (other foxes will simply ‘move’ in quickly to fill the void. And killing the fox is illegal in most states too. Could you take pics of your coop and post them please?

I improved my fencing around the property and also bought wolf urine to place around the perimeter -- theory being that it deters predators lower on the predator hierarchy -- not sure it worked but my coyotes have not come on to the property since doing those two things. Not sure if foxes will be deterred. I would think having the German Shepherd out patrolling should help the most.

Dont you have game and fish or animal control you can call?

Dont you have game and fish or animal control you can call?

This is new to me! I'm going to try this next year come fox season.
Don’t bother it’s BS. Foxes will investigate all kinds of smells. Human urine isn’t going to bother them. The fox can already smell you once he’s in your yard and will know you just pissed there but aren’t still standing there.
Anyone who doesn’t believe me take a leak somewhere a few times and put a game camera on the area. You’ll draw in animals because they’re curious about the new smell.
I’ve trapped beaver in an area that has a lot of coyotes. I would park my truck when I got there and take a leak on the ground when I got there. Next day checking traps after a snow fall of a few inches. Coyotes tore up the area and they pissed on the ground all over. Not the least bit scared. Foxes are no different behavior wise.

Back
Top Bottom