Red golden pheasant

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by amrose, Sep 4, 2011.

1. amrose

amrose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    Does anyone know if you can keep just a single male pheasant? I want to build a aviary and really only want one pheasant. Would it be better to have a pair? I am not interested in breeding. What do you suggest?

2. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You can house many males together as long as there are no hens around.This way you can have 5 or 6 males of different species to show off their colors.Well,that's as long as your pen is big enough to house them together.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. amrose

Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks for the advise. My aviary will be like this one if I can find another satellite dish. ten feet diameter and over 6 feet tall. How many do you think it could house, comfortably.

[​IMG]

5. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Very nice pen.I wouldn't do no more them 3 in that size,and that may be a little crowded.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. amrose

Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks Tony, think I'll just stick with my original plan of just a single male. Now just have to build another aviary and locate a pheasant. (Not easy in Louisiana)

7. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Try Kelly McMullan in Princeton.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

8. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Do these molt? We have a pair and when we moved them to their new aviary, the male lost all his tail feathers, will he grow them back?

9. Mark HSV-AL

Mark HSV-AL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Yes they molt which makes them look awful for over a month but they will be beautiful again.

10. Mark HSV-AL

Mark HSV-AL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Definately try Kelly McMullan, he is right outside of Shreveport and has several varieties of Goldens for sale right now including dark throated and yellows. He is a very interesting person who can provide a wealth of knowledge.

Found his number, (318) 949-2294 He raises a LOT more than just Golden pheasants.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by