Red heat lamp is keeping chickens awake..

NewBostonChick

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
New Boston, NH
Hello, I live in NH and it's been a bit chilly at night.. I have read many post about using and not using a heat lamp.. Tonight I decided to put the heat lamp on... it is a red heat light and the chickens are all awake out in the coop! I thought the red light was supposed to be the way to go so they would still sleep.. can someone advise? Also, I just got a thermo cube and plugged it in for the heat lamp and the lamp did not come on.. Is there a trick to the thermo cube? Thanks.. Jane in NH..

Yes, some of your birds will stay awake regardless. There just isn't a way to get around it, sadly. I've found area heaters to be dangerous or ineffective, and that in the end a heatlamp is better than nothing.

My ThermoCube comes on at about 25 degrees (it is rated at 20 degrees) and then shuts off when the temp AT THE PLUG reaches 35 degrees. In my case, the plug is by the door at the other end of the coop from the light, so it actually will stay on longer once it kicks in. I had one that turned on when the temp got down to 35 and stayed on until it reached 45, but that was too high so I ordered the lower temp one.

The degree at which it is supposed to come on is on the front/side of the cube.

Yeah, my birds don't sleep as well either, but it beats the frigid temperatures we have been having. It feels like February around here rather than Kansas.

Edit: Just be sure you keep the lamp well attached (screws, wire, whatever it takes) and 18" away from flamables (including the chickens)

Quote:

Last edited:
The thermo cube is the one for on at 20, off at 30 degrees.. maybe I just needed to give it a bit of time..? Yes we have the heat lamp hanging on a secure hook on a 2x4 from the top of the coop, so it will not be close to the chickens or shavings.. my coop is not very big.. it was my garden shed and we turned it into a coop and painted the outside a barn red... anyway, I'll try the thermo cube again and hope it will work.... thank you..

Remember the thermometer is IN the thermocube, so if it was in a heated house it may take it a little time to cool down to air temp. It will have to get down to 20 or so before it turns on. Mine is off a little, but it does what I want it to do.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom