Red heat lamp?

I have an aquarium heater in my water bucket. Works just fine! I had like 3 of them laying around anyway. You just have to make sure the water level doesn't drop too low or you can damage the heater. I think new they're about $10 at the pet store for a little one (10 to 20 gallon tank heater).

On the light subject, will they sleep with the red lamp on? I left it on overnight last night and I'm debating whether or not to leave it on again for a second night in a row or unplug it at around midnight.

DO NOT USE HEAT LAMPS IN YOUR COOP. I don't know how it happened, because it was set up pretty securely - but my heat lamp burned my coop down and I lost all my chickens. It was devastating. I had read this warning from other before and ignored it and I paid the price. Here is a blog post from the Chicken Chick about safe heat for chicks.

They do come with a warning that they must be 36" from all combustible surfaces but I hang mine on a nail in a rafter with no issues. I also only use it when it's ridiculously cold, though, so the wood never gets even close to warm. Above -15 they get regular light.

I've read several people have had the "heat lamp burned my coop down" thing; I wonder if bulb wattage is also playing a factor? Mine is only 175 watts or so, not the super-hot 240 watt that some people use.

Back
Top Bottom