Red heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by duckman14, Nov 3, 2013.

1. duckman14

duckman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2013
    Cambridge mn
    It gets cold here in the winter and I'm wondering, does it bother the chickens at all to leave the red heat lamp on all night long?

2. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I use a 250 watt infrared heat lamp in my coops in the winter, and I think the chickens would be more bothered by the cold. I haven't noticed any difference in their behavior, except they fight over the best spots (closest to the heat light) on the perch.

3. duckman14

Apr 10, 2013
    Cambridge mn
    Thank you :)

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x2. You aren't helping your chickens by heating the coop. Think of what it's like when you come into the house after being out in the cold in your winter coat--you're way too hot. Your birds can't take their winter coats off. Allow them to acclimate naturally to the weather and they'll be fine well below zero.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I live in MN, also and I can assure you that your chickens will be just fine - far better off, actually - without the heatlamp, for the reasons Den and WOS listed. Plenty of ventilation, out of the elements, and they'll be fine. I left my pop door open last winter on all but the coldest (-30's) of days and nights. They were fine. Please do your chickens a favor and not heat the coop. Think about the wild birds. They don't have heated places to go, yet they survive the winters.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I just put in a 25 watt flur. light since the windows I cut let in very little light. I add some straw. Also give warm water 2 times a day. Coop is a metal shed.

8. duckman14

Apr 10, 2013
    Cambridge mn
    Thanks to all of you. But to clear things up.. I'm not to worried about keeping the chickens warm. I have a rather larg non- insulated coop and I realy don't think the one heat lamp does a lot of anything to keep the coop warm. But do to the lack of sunlight hours I needed to add light anyway so I put the heat lamp above my waterer in an attempt to ( excuse the expression) kill two birds with one stone.

9. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Sorry I miss read you original question, If your coop is uninsulated I doubt the heat lamp above the waterer would keep it unfrozen where you live when winter really sets in. The best light for egg production is a full spectrum light bright enough to read by. The red light can effect them enough for them to be more active at night but not enough for egg production.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  10. duckman14

Apr 10, 2013
    Cambridge mn
    Ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by