Red hocks, chicken unable to stand

IveGoneQuacky

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2015
Hi all

I need help asap. I have a 6week old chicken that is unable to stand going on five days. She is eating and drinking fine. She doesn't seem to be ill in any other way and none of my 40 other chicks are ill. I first thought mareks but I would imagine that my 40 other chicks would have symptoms by now. She doesn't appear to have vision issues she has reflexes in her feet when I touch her foot. I am at a loss on what to do with her or if it's time to cull . I can't seem to upload a picture but her hocks are both red but I don't know if they are red because that's the problem or because she hasn't been standing . Please help!

She may have red hocks because she can't stand. How long has she been unable to stand? I would treat her with 1-2 drops of either Poultry Cell daily by mouth, or put some poultry powdered vitamins in her water, which the other chicks can safely drink. Make sure riboflavin is included on the label. She may have slipped tendons or leg bone deformities that have gotten worse as she has grown. Did you hatch these chicks or are they from a hatchery?

Back
Top Bottom