Red Island Rhode Island Reds... say what?!!

redislandreds

Hatching
Oct 3, 2016
Prince Edward Island, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everybody!

My name is Amy and I am from Prince Edward Island - home of the red dirt (and red-haired Anne of Green Gables!) and my farm is now home to 8 Rhode Island Red hens!

At least - that's what I think they are... I have just posted some photos & information about my new hens in the Breed ID forum. I'm hoping that I can get some insight on the breed and condition of these new hens I just picked up from a farmer down the rhode... I mean, road!

I've been lurking the forums on Backyardchickens.com for a few months now in preparation for starting a flock. I wasn't sure what type of hens I wanted to get, but as it happens, a neighbour farmer wanted to "dispose" of eight 2-year old hens because the molting season would slow down their laying rate... well, here comes me to the rescue. :)

Looking forward to viewing more posts on here and contributing some more, too! :)

Cheers!
Amy of the Red Dirt Isle

Greetings, Amy, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Best of luck with your RIRs (or whatever they are
tongue.png
) and have fun on BYC!!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Wow, rehoming after just two years? Most hens aren't really spent till four... I'd say you got a good deal. Chances your birds are Production Reds, the modern ancestor of the (now nearly extinct) real Rhode Island Red. I'll go look at your breed post.

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Wow, rehoming after just two years? Most hens aren't really spent till four... I'd say you got a good deal. Chances your birds are Production Reds, the modern ancestor of the (now nearly extinct) real Rhode Island Red. I'll go look at your breed post.

Thanks for your replies to my posts so far Misha, your insight has been extremely helpful! :)

Hello Amy, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you could save those hens, I am sure you will be getting plenty of eggs in return for the next 2 years! Have fun with them and enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom