Red junglefowl roo tail feathers

klb25

Songster
Jul 28, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Our weather has been abundantly wet the last couple weeks, alternating between floods and snowstorms. Trying to keep the chicken run dry is never-ending battle. My rooster's tail is of course really long and is getting so dirty. He isn't mean at all but my junglefowl don't want anyone near them. Any advice? Can I trim those feathers?

Our weather has been abundantly wet the last couple weeks, alternating between floods and snowstorms. Trying to keep the chicken run dry is never-ending battle. My rooster's tail is of course really long and is getting so dirty. He isn't mean at all but my junglefowl don't want anyone near them. Any advice? Can I trim those feathers?
I'm having the same problem with my phoenix. I wait until the weather settles down and then wash the roosters' tails.
Mine are used to this procedure so I can have them stand on one arm over a sink.
I use a bit of dish soap and rinse well.

Yes, the tail could be trimmed, but it will stay that way until the next molt.

Wet will not ruin the tail-dirt/mud will. Try to keep them on a bedding that drains well. I use thick layers of pine needles in the breeder runs. Change the bedding as needed. When it raining all the time I add a fresh layer over the dirty one.

Many of my roosters are free range. Some look really bedraggled. I know from experience that when the weather improves they will clean up well.

That is really helpful. Thank you! I really don't want to cut the feathers. I think I will recruit a family member (or two) to help me round him up and clean that tail.

Does his tail touch the ground? Do you have a photo?
BYC saves the day! The best photo I can find is one I posted in November. His earlobes are bigger and brighter now, along with a bigger comb and wattle. The tail has grown a bit too. He was about 6 months here. I can't find a more recent one of the tail.
Screenshot_20220120-085502_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom