Red laced blue Wyandotte’s 6-7 weeks…any pullets?!

I will update once I know for sure, I suppose. It’s hard when I can’t seem to find a lot of pics of definite pullets at this age. How can you tell?? What do you see in them that screams roo?

I will update once I know for sure, I suppose. It’s hard when I can’t seem to find a lot of pics of definite pullets at this age. How can you tell?? What do you see in them that screams roo?

The fact that the birds in question have huge combs that are already turning red. This won't happen for pullets until around 18 weeks or so. The earlier they get a big comb that turns red, the more likely to be a cockerel. When you're talking about single digit age (in weeks) then there's no doubt that its a cockerel.

That isn't always the case with wyandottes. They are famous for getter redder earlier.

Wait and see. Compare them to the others of the same breed.

The fact that the birds in question have huge combs that are already turning red. This won't happen for pullets until around 18 weeks or so. The earlier they get a big comb that turns red, the more likely to be a cockerel. When you're talking about single digit age (in weeks) then there's no doubt that its a cockerel.
Even with Wyandotte’s? I thought they got redder waddles and combs even as pullets. But time will tell :) so far one has waddles getting bigger while the other two have stayed the same. I’ll update when they’re older.

A comment on your title:
Those birds are Blue Laced Red. You've got the colors listed the wrong way around.

The "lacing" is the outer edge on each feather (can be black, blue, splash or white in various breeds). So yours have a black or blue lacing on a red feather (the middle of the feather is red.)

A comment on your title:
Those birds are Blue Laced Red. You've got the colors listed the wrong way around.

The "lacing" is the outer edge on each feather (can be black, blue, splash or white in various breeds). So yours have a black or blue lacing on a red feather (the middle of the feather is red.)
Oh yes, oops! Blue laced red’s! I picked up a few sapphire gems today just in case, but looking today, there is one that definitely has a much larger and redder waddle and comb. Neck feathers also seem less rounded on “him”. Never again will I get straight run!!

I have raised Wyandotte’s and even the pullets will show red very early on and make you think they are cockerels. But, some cockerels also may develop later on. It’s really to early to be for sure. But if we are making guesses #2 looks like a pullet to me. #3 a cockerel. #1 kind of looks like it could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom