Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
Have you weighed her yet?

No I havent, I dont have a scale to weigh my birds yet.

Try an inexpensive fish scale from Walmart or someone else's sporting goods department. The fun part is putting the bird in the grocery bag to weigh them. Some acted like "What is this crazy woman doing THIS time?" Others acted like the shopping bag was sure death. I'd recommend using a re-usable shopping bag that you don't love, lol.

Quote:
No I havent, I dont have a scale to weigh my birds yet.

Try an inexpensive fish scale from Walmart or someone else's sporting goods department. The fun part is putting the bird in the grocery bag to weigh them. Some acted like "What is this crazy woman doing THIS time?" Others acted like the shopping bag was sure death. I'd recommend using a re-usable shopping bag that you don't love, lol.

I really like my Berkley digital, and as GCFM suggested, use a "green" grocery tote to hold the bird, and the scale is accurate enough to get a tare weight on the bag. It weighs anything from 1 oz to 50 lbs with very good accuracy, so is also handy for weighing young chicks and custom mixing supplements into your feed. [Not sure the the 50 lb model is even still available, but it was under $20 at Walmart online last year.]

Sorry about the dark picture, I have no editing program on this computer.

I had three males lost to the heat that were definately many times better than this individual, and I'm not sure this one's even male yet, but unless a younger chick keeps comeing on, this 8 week old may have to be what I keep to breed. He's the offspring of one of my good DCs over the hatchery quality wlrs. What do you think?

44349_wlrc6.jpg

The three lost were much thicker shanked, with larger breasts that continued to bulge out farther and all the way under to their thighs, even at a youger age........................... but that's like bragging about the fish that got away.
sad.png
Of couse, I have a few chicks from Big Medicine, none blue, but some recessive white, that are still too young to evaluate.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
My CX came through the heat fine; I lost 4 to an owl before figureing out they were sleeping with their heads hanging out of the cage. The owl was just walking up, deheading them, and pulling what he could through the sides of the cage.

Quote:
My CX came through the heat fine; I lost 4 to an owl before figureing out they were sleeping with their heads hanging out of the cage. The owl was just walking up, deheading them, and pulling what he could through the sides of the cage.

Wow, these birds from Welp are alot stronger then the others ive gotten.

Quote:

My CXs have survived the summer without a problem, too. We had two weeks over 115 and our hottest day was a scorching 121, the hottest day I've ever seen in my entire life.
I lost a peachick to a red tail hawk one time that was pulled through a dog ex-pen.the hawk landed on the ground, put his foot through the cage and grabbed the chick, pulled him through the slat. The chick weighed at least a pound, too big to squeeze through the slats and escape. The hawk was bold enough to do this in my backyard, while the dogs were in the house. Happened within 20 feet of the house. My ex-husband had the peace of mind to record this on camera, instead of scaring the hawk away. I could have wrung his neck!

Back
Top Bottom