Red Light not staying on in Little Giant??

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
I just fired up my LG today for the first time! I was wondering if the little red light is always supposed to stay on? The red light goes on when I'm adjusting the thermostat knob but then turns off? I thought the purpose of the red light was to indicate that the incubator was turned on, and working properly? Both the thermometer it came with, and my thermo-hydrometer are reading the same accurate steady temps.

Now I totally know why you're supposed to start your incubator days before setting the eggs! Thank heaven for BYC!

Last edited:
The light comes on while the heating is warming the bator. And it goes off with it is set at the right temp. It is suppose to help you judge you adjustments. Goodluck, -Jay

Last edited:
That little knob is very sensitive also. You may think you are barely moving it...and the temp is way up before you know it! Give it time to adjust before you move it again! I learned that the hard way!

hmm.png

Oh ok, good to know! I couldnt figure out if the temperature was still climbing so I didnt move the knob until the temperature was at a standstill for at least an hour. So when the light turns off its adjusted and maintaining that current temp?

You're right, the little knobby can be tricky! I was pre-warned about that knob so I try to move it as little as possible! Then I made a huge turn so I had to start all over. I was just told to set it to the highest setting and then decrease until desired temp. I was doing the opposite, and increasing slowly until it heated up. So far it was only up to 85 degrees the last time I checked, and humidity was only like 25%.

Thank you soooo much about the red light. It makes a lot of sense now.

Last edited:
The red light will be off when the temperature is right. The light turns on when the temp starts to drop and a little more heat is needed, or when you increase the temperature by turning the little screw thingy. Each time you open the incubator the heat will escape and the red light will come on again, but you don't need to turn the screw thingy up, it's just readjusting. You need to have a thermometer inside the incubator to check that you have the right temperature. When you reach and stabilize at that temp inside on your thermometer, stop messing with the screw thingy, but expect that you will see the light coming on and off from time to time. Not to worry! Don't do like me and turn up the heat each time the thermometer says the temp is dropping. The incubator should start to reheat on its own and you will just cause a temp spike if you turn the temp up. The LG is very responsive to the temperature in your room and really does work better when the temp is normal room temp. Too cold a room makes the heater and the red light come on and off a lot. It also helps to have a hygrometer inside to measure the humidity. Good luck. I just got a 70% hatch with mine (on the second try after I figured all this stuff out!).
smile.png

the light goes on when electricity is flowing through the heating element and goes off when there is no electricity .

when you are first setting up the temp will continue to go up even after the light goes off.. I call this "coasting" your element is still hot and giving off heat.. after awhile the element stays on for shorter periods of time thus not having to coast for as long to cool off.. this is a good reason to start with the higher temp and work your way down..

another thing to keep in mind when adding water to raise humidity.. your temp will drop,

as the humidity goes down, your temp will go up again..

I will be hatching Duck eggs so the humidity is higher, but how many of the rings do you fill? I filled all three just to test it out. Plus I hear the LG doesnt hold humidity well so I might have to add a sponge.

I just remembered I forgot to open one of the red vent plugs. Im sure this will change the temp and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom