Red Light?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DrCB, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DrCB

DrCB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2015
    Will the red light of a heat lamp keep chickens awake at night? Can chickens see in red light?

Thanks,
    DrCB

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    No, they aren't bothered by the light.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I keep a heat lamp on all winter. The red light does not bother them.

Cheers!

4. chickens really

Why do people always first question
    Ventilation?
    Yes, birds need proper vents, heat rises. Moisture needs to get out. Yes. Dry coop!
    I live where it gets cold! Not just cold , but freezing cold. -40 wind chills. That's in Celsius....

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The coop should not have any windchill. That's the whole point of the coop. To protect from wind, rain, and snow and from predators. Most breeds can tolerate temps well below 0* F, without supplemental heat.

1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

Your so wise! Great info.
    But where I live a regular day could be -35 Celsius and no wind. No point in conflicts. If a person wants to heat the coop? As I do... no reason they should not? Proper care of fire hazzards should be taken.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's not just the fire hazards that need to be considered. If you loose power, and your birds are accustomed to heating, they may not be able to handle the sudden cold. A lot of people loose birds due that very reason. They thought they were doing their birds a favor by keeping them toasty warm. But, they also kept their birds from acclimating and getting adjusted to winter temps. Even in very, very cold climates, there is little benefit to heating, and the potential consequences are heartbreaking.
    Those who choose to heat, need to be very aware of all the risks they are taking.

2 people like this.
  8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Because improper ventilation can cause frostbite, even in temps above zero. If your coop is properly ventilated, and heat rises, is the heat lamp doing any good anyway? I understand cold. It can get to the -20's here in MN. I know, not as cold as you, but very cold nonetheless. I don't heat my coop. I will, however, shut the pop door when it gets down to -15 or so. (Air temp, not windchill as windchill really has nothing to do with inside the coop)

3 people like this.
  9. chickens really

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by