Red lumpy poo?

Joey8765

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Australia
Came out to the coop to find a big bulgy lumpy red poo with maggots and half of it brown????

I have a silkie and a rhode island white x isa brown.
would it help if i took a photo of the poop?

are you sure they were maggots and not intestinal worms? like roundworms? were they long and stringy or short and plump? If its maggots then flies must have laid eggs on the poo and they hatched. This happened to me over the summer when we were gone for a couple days. Make sure you clean the poo if it piles up under the roost every morning, this will definitely help with the flies. And dust alittle DE or seven dust on the shavings in the coop. It will also help keep some of the bugs down. If it was intestinal parasites in the poo you probably need to deworm everyone. As for it being red, every once in a while they shed their intestinal lining and it shows up in the poo. I would definitely check for parasites though bc this can also cause it to be red. Okay, I think I have said poo enough lol. Hope this helps!

everyone was eating and drinking and acting fine. i'm pretty sure it would have just been one of them shedding their intestinal lining, there were a lot of flies on it, so i bet they were maggots hatched from flies. thanks for all the info, very helpful
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom