RED MITES

ChickenMites.jpg

I use a backpack sprayer but I have several coops and when I treat one coop I treat them all. A gallon sprayer works well with the permethrin concentrate. That is what I have used in the past. the wand is good for getting into the hard to reach areas. Here is a chart for the different permethrins made by a BYC member. I use the 0.5% mixture per gallon of water.
casportpony's PermethrinRatios.jpg

Attachments

• GallonSprayer.jpeg
    GallonSprayer.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 2
  • scottsGallonsprayer.jpg
    scottsGallonsprayer.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1
There are many species of mite that are red, clover mites for example male me panic every time I see them.. and red mites do not live on chickens but only come out to feed on them.. colonies often found under the roost. Are you seeing them on the birds to and are you able to post photos?
Exactly like these, their colonies are under the roosts. I don't have any pictures. Now, because it's pretty cold outside, they are not active, so they don't reproduce. But when I burnt them with some kinda blazing torch, I achieved biggest success in removing them. I will stay with this method. 😁

when I burnt them with some kinda blazing torch, I achieved biggest success in removing them. I will stay with this method.
Seems like I recall wrapping cardboard around the end of roosts.. to invite them to nest in.. and replacing/burning just the cardboard trap regularly.. was ONE of the things that helped achieve great ongoing results with ease.. Wish I could find that info, it was good write up. Might be worth trying.. and I will certainly link it back if I come across it in the near future..

Keep up the good fight! :highfive:

This thread has me on edge. So are the red mites the ones I see scurrying all over the sidewalk in the spring?

I used to be concerned that they were the kind attacking my Arbs (sucking the foliage dry), but I think these are predator mites rather than spider mites which make webs and live off the trees and shrubs.

I just got a catalog from Arbico Organics does anyone have experience using their bio control products? I've had good luck ordering their ladybugs and arriving live, not so much with their mantis eggs hatching. They have numerous bio controls for sale, not very cost effective if you're on a limited budget so that's one reason I ask.

For example nematodes, predator mites, and other beneficial parasites and bacteria that can be used. Though I'm all for IPM, not getting to beat myself up just to try and stay natural in a crisis.

Last edited:
This thread has been on edge. So are the red mites the ones I see scurrying all over the sidewalk in the spring?

I used to be concerned that they were the kind attacking my Arbs (sucking the foliage dry), but I think these are predator mites rather than spider mites which make webs and live off the trees and shrubs.

I just got a catalog from Arbico Organics does anyone have experience using their bio control products? I've had good luck ordering their ladybugs and arriving live, not so much with their mantis eggs hatching. They have numerous bio controls for sale, not very cost effective if you're on a limited budget so that's one reason I ask.

For example nematodes, predator mites, and other beneficial parasites and bacteria that can be used. Though I'm all for IPM, not getting to beat myself up just to try and stay natural in a crisis.
There are probably dozens of kinds of mites, only a few bother poultry.

Back
Top Bottom