Red Mulch?

Make sure you have a good rake to rake it all back where you want it. I know from experience!!
lau.gif

Quote:
I'm not going to open the whole cedar issue again, just say that different people may have different ideas what they consider sufficient evidence to be worth avoiding something easily avoidable.

What I'm mainly posting to say is that mulch is not too darn likely to be "harbouring fleas and mites". I do not believe (?) sticktight fleas, which are AFAIK the only fleas that chickens regularly get, is normally a problem as far north as NC. Most mites live permanently on the chicken, and roost mites you would not normally find even in run bedding much less in just a garden that the chickens have access to (which is what the question is about).

I *would* be a bit concerned at not knowing what they dye the mulch red with and not wanting the chickens eating it unless I knew for sure.

JMHO,

Pat

Right and no real evidence has been put forward to prove cedar is harmful to chickens. None. Also mulch in my neck of the woods is notorious for harboring nastsy critters like fleas and mites. Just a different person stating a different point of view. Eh?

jeremy

I'll definiteyly be on the lookout for the fleas and mites, but I do know that since I started using the mulch in my runs, it drains much better and I don't have all that mud and stink to deal with.

Paula

Quote:
Depending what you want as "evidence".

Also mulch in my neck of the woods is notorious for harboring nastsy critters like fleas and mites.

Ok, well, to quote you, EVIDENCE that this is a problem for CHICKENS...? Read the original post, they are talking about just a garden that chickens have access to, not the run itself *anyhow*.

Pat​

Quote:

Pat

Anything at all that has proof that cedar is harmful. I think it funny people say something and swear to it but have no proof. Show me a study by a reputable group not a bunch of heresay. I've not seen any proof at all but from a weird animal worshiping cult that had no facts. I just say until it is proven harmful (to chickens) and has been in the market for decades then I don't see how it people can say it is harmful.

Oh and I did read the post.

"I am setting up a garden around the coop for spring time, but wanted to know if they will mess with the mulch (I know they'll eat at the plants, I'm find with it) and if it's bad for them."

So I threw in there that I have and my neighbors have had issues with undesirable critters living in the mulch as in fleas, mites and also ticks. So as the mulch may not be harmful to chickens the critters very well may be. If not only a nuisance to deal with and a nasty one at that.

jeremy

I use wood chips of all kinds (cedar, pine, fir) in my run and it works great! No smell, stays fairly dry (hard in the PNW!) and the chooks love to scratch around in it. Mulch or chip in your yard would be scratched up instantly. I only use pine shavings in the enclosed coop area though, and I air those out if they smell strong.

There are plenty of threads on here with links to scientific articles about the effects of phenols (aromatic oils) in cedar on the lungs of animals. Pine can also have phenols, though not as strong. I try to use common sense--if I stick my head in there, and wouldn't want to sleep there due to the smell, then the phenols are too strong. I don't think this is a problem in the run.

Quote:
This is the first time I see someone post about using wood chips in runs. I just started using it this past Summer, and I find it works great. Like you said, it stays dry and doesn't smell. And they love to scratch around in it. Now the mulch in my flower beds, they scratch up and make a mess of it, but in the runs, it's contained, so they don't make too much of a mess. I also use pine shavings in my coops.
Cedar shavings, I stay away from. I don't know if it's bad as everyone says or not. I've never researched it, I just don't use it. I have old cedar fence boards that I use around the coop, on the outsides mostly,and don't have any problems there, but I've never used cedar shavings or chips.

Paula

Quote:

Pat

Anything at all that has proof that cedar is harmful. I think it funny people say something and swear to it but have no proof. Show me a study by a reputable group not a bunch of heresay.

There are AMPLE citations from refereed scientific journals posted on other threads on this subject. Not, I will agree, specifically on pet chickens. However many of us would prefer to avoid easily-avoidable things that have been shown harmful for other organisms. Also enough BYCers have had highly-suggestive problems on cedar (although certainly, as we repeatedly say, some people use cedar for years with no problems) that I think it is unreasonable to say there is "no" evidence it's a problem.

So I threw in there that I have and my neighbors have had issues with undesirable critters living in the mulch as in fleas, mites and also ticks. So as the mulch may not be harmful to chickens the critters very well may be.

I'll try this one last time. Chickens do not get fleas except a type that is not normally a problem in NC and points north. Chicken mites are not going to live in mulch, they live *on chickens*. OTHER sorts of fleas and mites and ticks can do what they please but they won't really affect CHICKENS which is what's being discussed here.

Pat​

I know what is being discussed here.
roll.png
The mulch and it affecting the chickens.
roll.png

Here mulch = nasty critters and that as I thought might affect the chickens. Just throwing that in there as that is what I have experienced using mulch along with my neighbors. Heck most around here use rock instead. Maybe it's the mass amount of rabbits bouncing around here causing the nasties to be around in the mulch.

jeremy

Back
Top Bottom