Red Neck Coop

pvc coop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Oklahoma
Red Neck Coop

because it's part of the Trailer house.

The porch is on the front of the Moble Home. There were just 4 x 4 legs underneath it. So I decided to box it in and in one corner have a 5' x 6' coop. My carpenter skills are very limited, so keeping it simple. I learned a lot from BYC on whats needed. For example, the easy open nesting box, lighting, easy to clean flooring which can be slid out for cleaning, etc. I have 4 laying hens (RIR's ) due to start laying late August. They are not locked up and free range in our yard. I had to clip thier wing feathers 1 inch to keep them inside our fence. If I have a snake problem then I will start locking them up and securing the bottom of the siding better. All I bought was 2 sheets of siding for the outside walls and 1 sheet of plywood for the inside walls and flooring. The rest of the framing was scrap 2x4's.

Dennis123026.jpg

Before Paint. I had a half gallon of paint laying around. Could of used some more, but maybe later.

Dennis123033.jpg

Hindged panel opens for cleaning. Plywood floor covered with plastic slides out for cleaning.

Dennis123035.jpg

Entrance not secured at this time. If a snake starts stealing eggs then I will. I don't think coyote's will come this close to home.

Dennis123039.jpg

Lid opes on nesting box.

Dennis123034.jpg

Looing inside the coop. Nesting box's on left. 2x4's for roosting

Dennis123041.jpg

The yard. I had to trim wing feathers 1" to keep them inside fence.

Dennis123036.jpg

This sheet of plywood blocks the south wind on the entrance.

Dennis123037.jpg

Side view of nesting box.

Dennis123038.jpg

Finished view.

Thanks for everybodies compliments and laughs. I don't know how it happened but somehow my original post came up twice. I must of double clicked. Anyway sorry about that. Everybody have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom