Red Pill or Blue Pill?

roll.png

Several of those "sources" are biased. The one that wasn't completely off the mark was the beef industry and ammonia that was posted by the NY times. Take a look at this. 3 cases of E.Coli out of HOW many pounds of beef...that millions of people eat. How many would it have been had the other meat NOT been treated?

Our food supply is handled so poorly that ammonia soaked hamburger is necessary so people don't die and you are OK with that? Personally, I think the answer should be to...oh say, fix the problem v. band aid over it with toxic chemicals.

And Monsanto is not biased info...they do it every day of the week. Just google them. They are scary.

Alright...let's put it this way.

If I found a convincing article that was located on let's say... "meateatersonly.org" would you see that as a credible source?

OR:
"organicdoesnotwork.org"
"organicisnobetter.org"

I have never googled these, so if they are real websites...sorry!

Last edited:
Does NPR count as "legitimate"?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122498255&ps=cprs

Even though deep snowdrifts cover his fields in eastern Kansas, Luke Ulrich, a corn and soybean farmer here, is thinking about spring. It's time to buy seed again, but hundreds of seed companies have gone under in the past two decades.

Ulrich remembers the days before genetically modified seeds upended the industry. Critics of the big agriculture biotech company Monsanto say its popular Roundup Ready technology is to blame for that. Roundup Ready is a line of gene-modified seeds that inoculate plants against a herbicide, Roundup, also made by Monsanto, that kills just about everything else.

"Ever since they've come out with the Roundup Ready trait and that became popular and basically took over farming, we've seen significant increases every single year," Ulrich says.

Ulrich says his seed costs shot up almost 50 percent last year. That's because farmers are contractually prohibited from saving seeds and planting them the following year.

Farmers face lawsuits if they try to save and replant the genetically modified seed because they don't own the technology. While they bristle at that, they love the Roundup Ready seed.

"There's nothing like Roundup. A monkey could farm with it," Ulrich says.

'Amazing Amount Of Leverage'

More than 9 out of 10 soybean seeds carry the Roundup Ready trait. It's about the same for cotton and just a little lower for corn.

"Farmers will not buy soybeans without Roundup Ready in it. So, that gives Monsanto an amazing amount of leverage," says Jim Denvir, a lawyer working for DuPont. DuPont owns Pioneer, a competing seed company.

Pioneer licenses the Roundup Ready trait from Monsanto, as do about 150 other seed companies. Those agreements control which other genetics competing companies can mix with the Roundup Ready trait. Last year, Monsanto sued to stop Pioneer from "stacking" Roundup Ready with another trait. Denvir says Pioneer complained to the Justice Department.

"A seed company can't stay in business without offering seeds with Roundup Ready in it, so if they want to stay in that business, essentially they have to do what Monsanto tells them to do," Denvir says.

Enlarge Sven Kaestner/APA farmer displays two corncobs from bioengineered seed (right) and two non-GMO corncobs seized with vermin.

Sven Kaestner/APA farmer displays two corncobs from bioengineered seed (right) and two non-GMO corncobs seized with vermin.
Monsanto's critics say it used this "platform monopoly" to crush many competitors. Chris Holman, a patent lawyer who teaches at the University of Missouri, Kansas City, likens it to Microsoft and its dominant Windows operating system.

"Because of the structure of the industry, they are able to really drive participants in the industry into using their technology," Holman says.

Monsanto spokesman Lee Quarles says those allegations are unfair, though he concedes they're coming at the company fast and furious.

"We're actively working to address questions from regulators, both the Department of Justice and state attorneys general as well as other parties in the industry, to address any questions they have about our business," Quarles says.

But Monsanto is pushing ahead. It will soon market a soybean seed combining eight separate genetically engineered traits.

Roundup Ready technology was developed at Monsanto's world headquarters in St. Louis. Jim Tobin of Monsanto says it sells itself. "Farmers get to vote every year before they plant, and it's that vote each year that determines who has the largest market share or volume," Tobin says.

Monsanto spent huge amounts of money and took big risks to develop the Roundup Ready trait. Tobin says it has revolutionized agriculture. But now, "Well, we've invented something new," he says.

It's called Roundup Ready 2 Yield. It uses the gene as the original, just placed in a different spot in the genome. Monsanto says that boosts yield.

Interesting timing: Monsanto's patent on Roundup Ready 1 expires in 2014 and with it, a revenue stream of maybe half a billion dollars a year in royalties. That's unless it can switch farmers over to Roundup Ready 2.

"We'd like to have everyone in the soybean business, seed business using the trait," Tobin says.

Monsanto's putting the new trait in all its best soybean seeds. And Paul Schickler, president of Pioneer, says Monsanto is forcing its licensees to do the same. He charges that Monsanto is trying to make Roundup Ready 1 disappear.

"That's our concern: bridging or switching from one patented product, Roundup Ready 1, to the next-generation Roundup Ready 2 Yield, doesn't allow competition for the original technology," Schickler says.

Unlike in many other industries, there's no clear path for a genetically modified crop to go generic. As it stands, generic providers would probably still need access to Monsanto's proprietary data to get federal approval to sell the Roundup Ready trait.

They'd also need closely held technical data to update licenses that keep the trait legal in big, important markets like China and the EU.

Meanwhile, the end of the Roundup Ready patent will very likely give farmers a chance to do something they haven't for years: plant the seed they've harvested. Luke Ulrich is ready.

"I don't care how good Roundup Ready 2 is; if you tell me I can save back my own seed, I'm going to plant my own seed," Ulrich says.

The problem for guys like Ulrich will be finding seed that has just the Roundup Ready gene alone, one not stacked with other patented traits. After all, if he can’t find the seed in the first place, he can't grow it.

I love NPR, in fact I'm an NPR junkie. There are plenty of people that will say it is biased because educated people listen to it and support it.

It was almost as hard finding good seeds last year as it was finding chicks. The trend toward self-sufficiency is picking up steam. I Find that to be a silver lining in these troubled times. Some day we'll all look back and say- "wow- how could we have been so stupid and wasteful and complacent?" In fact- I'm saying it now
wink.png

Quote:
When you or your family comes down with cancer or anouther illness because of food that should have been free of toxins then will you stop to think? I think if you can spend time on the net a few moments at the store looking at what's in the food wouldn't hurt.

I'd take the red pill. The blue one is hard to swallow and has too many side effects. Have you read The Omnivores Dilemma? That's what started me down the chicken path, bought 6 Scottish Highland cattle and have been gardening organic heirlooms for awhile. I want to try meaties this spring and maybe a hog or two. You can't escape it entirely but I'd rather get as little as possible from the store if possible. We are so far removed from our food sources most people don't want to know what's in their food. Just make it convenient.

Quote:
I guess i'd have to agree with you Debi...not much we can REALLY do is there?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom